I was told by a marine veteran that if someone joined the military they can get US citizenship. How much truth does this stateme

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

Does it differ for people legally and illegal at the time of enlistment?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Technically, someone who is illegally in the US shouldn't be in the Marines.

    But, there have been some special programs allowing people to join and get greencards.

    There are also some special programs to speed up how long it takes for someone with a greencard to become a US Citizen.

    You can find some information here: http://www.uscis.gov/military

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. Philip Douglas Cave


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Legal, there is a program.

    Illegal, no.

    mljucmj@gmail.com 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client... more
  4. Raymond Eugene Beal II

    Contributor Level 3

    Answered . If you're on active duty then I'm assuming you're a legal immigrant. Active duty service members' applications for citizenship receive expedited review. If you are an illegal immigrant then your enlistment may be fraudulent which a UCMJ offense. If you are an illegal alien, I suggest you speak to an attorney who practices immigration law and military law.

  5. Irene Arfaras Steffas

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Unfortunately, you are not going to be able to enlist. Currently, you must prove that you are a Legal Permanent Resident or a citizen. Are you eligible for DACA - Deffered Action for Childhood Arrivals? DACA is so new - just started accepting application on August 15, 2012, I have not heard of the military accepting those with DACA status.

    Sorry your marine friend is wrong. Best of Luck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,349 answers this week

3,211 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,349 answers this week

3,211 attorneys answering