Skip to main content

I was ticketed for an accident over 2 years ago, plead no contest can they sue me for 100,000 to 300,000 dollars?

Dayton, OH |

Is there an accident simulator that is free or really cheap because if I knew enough physics I am sure I could prove she was going well above the speed limit, also I have good insurance and I know the lady collected from workmen's comp. but that much just seems excessive. I did try to fight it but the public defendant was crap.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. It depends on the statute of limitations in your state. In Florida it's 4 years and they would be able to bring suit. Your insurance company should be taking care of this, however, and advising you on what has been happening with the claim. They will also provide you with an attorney to defend any suit brought against you as long as you had the necessary coverage.

  2. First, if you had insurance at the time of the accident, you should alert them and let them handle it. That is why you have insurance. To address your question more directly, assuming this was an Ohio collision, suit must be filed with in 2 years. If you have just received a summons and complaint, check the date it was filed to see if it was within the 2 year limit. Best wishes.

  3. If the statute of limitations in Ohio has not run then any lawsuit would be dismissed. I believe the statute of limitations in Ohio on an auto injury claim is 2 years so it may be too late.
    If a lawsuit is still available to the person you hit they would have to show damages to that amount.
    If you have insurance, then you should report any lawsuit immediately and allow the company to handle the claim.

    If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

  4. Yes, they can sue you for whatever amount they deem appropriate. Cooperate with your insurance company and let them handle this for you.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics