I was threatened and assaulted and pulled out a pocket knife to defend my self. Can I get in trouble for that?

Ellenboro, NC |

A person threatened to kill me and started punching me in the back of the head. I tried to get away and he pulled me back. He punched me in the face and i pulled out my pocket knife and opened it. He continued to punch me in the face causing my arms to sway and i nicked his pants scratching his leg then dropped my knife. He stepped back and pulled his pocket knife out. I picked up my knife and ran into the woods and called the police. I feared for my life and used me knife for self defence to scare him. Can i get in trouble. What will his charges be?

You should have a consultation with an experienced local criminal procedure litigator.

There is no confidentiality online. Volunteering to answer this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. The accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. The likelihood of a positive outcome- exoneration or a mitigated sentence- is increased with the help of an experienced criminal litigator. Seek out an experienced criminal litigator for a free consultation. If you cannot find one on Avvo, search at the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL.org) Speak to several attorneys and hire the one that makes you feel confident and comfortable. NACDL local members: http://tinyurl.com/8ru8wtv

Go to Trial: Crash the Justice System
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/opinion/sunday/go-to-trial-crash-the-justice-system.html?_r=0

Good Luck,

JR

James Regan, LL.M*, Esq.
(Master of Intercultural Human Rights Law)
jreganllm@gmail.com

https://twitter.com/JReganLLM
https://www.facebook.com/defendme.net (Visit us on Facebook)

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.

You need to do two things. First, contact an attorney to speak with them in detail about the incident. Second, make no statements to anyone ESPECIALLY the police if they come calling. Your attorney will tell you the same thing. If he doesn't, find another attorney.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

You could get in trouble and charged with a serious offense. However, it sounds like you also could not get charged at all since this sounds like kind of a shady character that may have not followed up with the police. If you get charged, you definitely have a self-defense claim here but need to speak with an attorney immeditately.

There is no confidentiality on this forum. Talk to an attorney immediately. If the police come looking for you, tell them you are not answering any questions whatsoever until you speak with an attorney.

Anthony Muhlenkamp - 314-725-7777; amuhlenkamp@fjrdefense.com, Frank, Juengel & Radefeld, Attorneys at Law, P.C. Feel free to call or email me for a free consultation. However, please be advised that answering questions on this webpage is done to provide general information only and that by responding to a question we have not established an attorney client relationship. In order to establish such a relationship we would need to meet in person and go over more details of your case. Thank you.