I was thinking about going through an adoption agency & need legal help in what happens if I change my mind? More details below.

Asked 11 months ago - Thonotosassa, FL

I was thinking about going through an adoption agency since I am pregnant and these agencies pay your rent, utilities etc so what happens if I change my mind before the birth? Will I get into trouble? Will they take the baby away from me?

1. Earl Kenneth Mallory

Pro

4

1

Answered . The payment of living or medical expenses by the prospective adoptive parents before the birth of the child does not, in any way, obligate the parent to sign the consent for adoption.

2. Michelle Rene Fernandez

3

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague. If you have questions, I would make an appointment with the agency and ask all questions. There is a legal obligation to have an attorney explain all of your rights so you know and fully understand what you are giving up. Good luck.

3. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

2

1

Answered . You need to provide us with a copy of the contract you are supposed to sign. You should seek the advice of an attorney once you have same.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,
  4. Michael J Corbin

3

Answered . Let's be clear here, no agency can physically take your baby from you. If you elect not to go through with the adoption, that's your choice. If, however, you sign an agreement and receive these payments, they can (and will) demand that you repay every penny - you don't get to take the money, change your mind, and then walk-away without some kind of consequence. Here, it will be a financial consequence - you'll owe a lot of money.

5. John Arthur Smitten

Answered . If you change your mind you are liable for the costs the agency paid on your behalf.