I was terminated from my position as church secretary and applied for unemployment benefits. I was not eligible.

Kansas City, MO |

I was told that a church is exempt from unemployment insurance and does not have to pay into the system. When I was terminated I did nto qualify for benefits. I don't recall being told that I would not be entitled to benefits if I lost my job. Is there any recourse for me if I was not notified that I would not receive unemployment benefits.

It is true a church is exempt.

If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Religious belief, age, gender, race etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit.

If you are an at-will employee, you can be fired for any reason or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer.

Recommended articles about Employment