I WAS TERMINATED FROM MY JOB I BELIEVE AGE AND DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION.

Asked over 1 year ago - Washington, MO

MY ATTORNEY SAYS THAT THE ONLY THING I CAN REALLY EXPECT IS SOME SEVERANCE PAY. I AM 61 YEARS OLD AND DO RADIOLOGY. JOBS IN THIS AREA ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN. I HAVE BEEN APPLYING FOR JOBS FOR A YEAR BECAUSE OF MY WORKING CONDITIONS. I FAILED THE CT REGISTRY AND WAS TERMINATED, EVEN THOUGH A 25 YEAR OLD WHO TOOK THE TEST 17 DAYS AFTER I DID AND FAILED, HAS BEEN GIVEN ANOTHER 60 DAYS TO RETAKE THE TEST. IS THERE ANY WAY THAT I CAN FORCE THEM TO PAY MORE THAN A FEW MONTHS PAY? I AM GOING TO LOSE MY HOUSE AND MY CREDIT. I CANT AFFORD INSURANCE BECAUSE OF PREEXISTING CONDITIONS, I HAVE LOST MY LIFE INSURANCE. MY DEPRESSION IS SO BAD RIGHT NOW IT IS HARD TO FUNCTION. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS AT THIS POINT? I FEEL LIKE A FEW MONTHS PAY IS A SLAP ON THE WRIST.

1. Jordan Bergus

Answered . Based on what you have written, it does not appear that there was any discrimination based on disability. In order for that to occur, your employer would have had to have known of your depression or regarded you as depressed and fired you, in part, because of that.

Age discrimination might exist based upon what you have written, but to have a good claim, you likely need more than just that one example. Moreover, these types of cases do not proceed quickly. If you are concerned about losing your house, unfortunately, any money you receive, outside of severance, likely would not arrive in time.

If you want to talk to an employment lawyer in more detail, most will do a free consultation. Go to nela.org for a list of employment lawyers in your area. Best of luck.