I was terminated due to a false accusation that I attempted to strike a co-worker. What can I do?

Asked about 1 year ago - Baltimore, MD

I was the co-workers supervisor, I managed the office which is on camera. I pulled checks out of the trash that were not shredded, but partially cut up. I stated to the co-worker that they can't go in the trash that way. I made an air slap motion in the air , that was a joke, and now he is claiming I tried to hit him, he would be next in line for my job. I also made a phone call to corporate LP because another of my co-wokers said the Human Resources manager was watching him and calling our courtesy desk to tell another associate who was scheduled to be there, to go back to another location, that the HR Manager had assigned her too. This got her in trouble. I feel like this false accusation is a trickle down from that and another incident where I was not given my 2nd vacation.

1. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

1

Answered . Maryland is an "at will" employment state. This means that you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all, so long as the basis for the termination is not discriminatory (i.e. based on race, gender, disability, etc.).

You might want to review your corporate handbook to see if there is any kind of progressive discipline policy which may protect you and outline the steps the company has to take before termination in instances such as this. However, most companies will -- despite a discipline policy -- reiterate that your employment is at will if you don't have a specific employment contract.

2. Jason W Cleckner Esq.

Pro

1

Answered . Are you charged with a crime? If so, I am more than happy to help. If not, you need an employment attorney.

3. James Regan

1

Answered . Under the common law, an assault is putting someone in fear of harm with the apparent ability to carry it out.

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.