Skip to main content

I was terminated due to a false accusation that I attempted to strike a co-worker. What can I do?

Baltimore, MD |

I was the co-workers supervisor, I managed the office which is on camera. I pulled checks out of the trash that were not shredded, but partially cut up. I stated to the co-worker that they can't go in the trash that way. I made an air slap motion in the air , that was a joke, and now he is claiming I tried to hit him, he would be next in line for my job. I also made a phone call to corporate LP because another of my co-wokers said the Human Resources manager was watching him and calling our courtesy desk to tell another associate who was scheduled to be there, to go back to another location, that the HR Manager had assigned her too. This got her in trouble. I feel like this false accusation is a trickle down from that and another incident where I was not given my 2nd vacation.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Maryland is an "at will" employment state. This means that you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all, so long as the basis for the termination is not discriminatory (i.e. based on race, gender, disability, etc.).

You might want to review your corporate handbook to see if there is any kind of progressive discipline policy which may protect you and outline the steps the company has to take before termination in instances such as this. However, most companies will -- despite a discipline policy -- reiterate that your employment is at will if you don't have a specific employment contract.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.


Under the common law, an assault is putting someone in fear of harm with the apparent ability to carry it out.

Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.


Are you charged with a crime? If so, I am more than happy to help. If not, you need an employment attorney.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer