I was terminated and then unemployment benefits were denied because my previous employer stated I quit. Next step?

Asked about 1 year ago - Saint Louis, MO

My employer stated that I was offered a performance improvement plan and that I refused and quit. I was offered a severance agreement, not a PIP. How do I appeal?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Christopher Lee Kalberg


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . From your question I assume that the initial determination from the DOL is that you are not eligible for benefits. If that is the case you have 30 days to perfect an appeal. The matter will be scheduled for a evidentiary hearing in front of a Referee/administrative law judge who will make a new determination as to eligibility based solely on the evidence introduced at that hearing.

    That hearing is critically important as it is the last time you will have the opportunity to present evidence on your behalf and build the record.

    Chris Kalberg, Kalberg Law Office, L.L.C. (913) 825-6670, kalberglaw@everestkc.net No attorney client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,460 answers this week

2,750 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,460 answers this week

2,750 attorneys answering