I was terminated after I tested positive for a legally prescribed pain med-morphine-on a DOT pre-employment drug test

Asked over 1 year ago - El Portal, CA

After surgery for a workers comp condition I was released for modified duty then took a DOT required pre-employment drug test three days after stopping the prescription pain med morphine. When the result came back positive my employer terminated me with the condition of rehire if I was assessed by a substance abuse professional and cleared to return to duty. Several weeks later I met with the SAP and told her I had not taken any pain meds in over a month and had no desire to take pain meds since the surgery fixed the pain. Despite being drug free the SAP sentenced me to 6 months residential inpatient-detox rehab. Because I was fired I lost my employer paid medical insurance and all the rehab centers I called wanted payment up front and an average $1000 to $2000 per day fees. Now what?

1. George Ellis Corson IV

4

Answered . Really? Find another job, pass the DOT physical, and move forward.

I represent Employers, but I can recommend Worker Attorneys in So Cal if you ask.
  2. Neil Pedersen

4

Answered . Do the rehab and find a new job when you complete it. Otherwise, find another occupation.

There is no unlawful conduct here.

Good luck to you.

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

Answered . I have read your extended info posted in response to Mr. Corson. This is a tough situation. Your termination was not unlawful based on the facts you have reported. But clearly, the usual "solutions" will not meet your specific needs. I can make one potentially effective suggestion: retain a LOCAL attorney, one who is very active in local legal and community affairs and matters, one who is well-known to and highly respected by your employer's executives and managers. Retain this highly and specifically-skilled individual attorney attorney not to wage a full-on legal fight, but to find an access point within your employer's governance structure for meaningful diplomacy and negotiations, and to attempt to obtain by conciliation and agreement what probably cannot be obtained through a legal war.

I wish you luck.