I WAS TAKING TO COURT TO TURN OVER PROPERTY BUT WHEN I CHECKED MY CREDIT A JUDGMENT WAS THERE & IT SHOULDN'T BE. WHAT CAN I DO?

Chicago, IL |

I DISPUTED THE JUDGMENT THREE TIME ALREADY AND IT'S STILL THERE, I CALLED THE COURT HOUSE IN CHICAGO IL WHO SUPPOSE TO HAVE PUT THE JUDGMENT ON MY CREDIT AND THEY SAID THEY DON'T HAVE A RECORD THAT I OWE ANY MONEY TO ANYONE BUT YET IT STILL REMAIN ON MY CREDIT. I LIVE IN A DIFFERENT STATE NOW SO I CAN'T GO TO THE COURT HOUSE FOR INFORMATION. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT I CAN DO?

Ask "the credit" what it will take to clear the matter up.

Your post is convoluted and makes it hard to know exactly what you desire.

The clerk of the court does not place judgments on your credit report. It is generally picked up by the various credit reporters based upon court proceedings. Contact the credit agencies. File a dispute. Get someone locally to obtain a copy of your court file. You can hire a private investigator or an attorney to do that if you have no contacts locally. Make sure you know which courthouse handled your case.

The credit bureaus are notarious for making mistakes when it comes to public records such as court judgments. You need to contact an attorney who handles Fair Credit Reporting Act cases. Most provide a free consultation and will take good FCRA cases on a contingency basis. Under the FCRA you can sue to get your credit report corrected, along with up to $1,000 in statutory damages, actual damages and attorney's fees. I have handled cases with facts very similar to your own, and it is often necessary to file a lawsuit to get the credit bureause to correct their mistakes.

The above response is not intended to create, nor does it create either an attorney-client relationship or an ongoing duty to respond to questions. It is intended to be solely the educated opinion of the author and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Some responses may be advertising material. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the inquiring person and additional or differing facts might change the response. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the state of Illinois. Responses are answers to general legal questions and the inquiring party should consult a local attorney for specific answers and advice. Answering this question does create a duty to keep information confidential, nor does it prevent me from representing an adverse party. Advertising Materials.