I was taken to the hospital due to having suffered a seizure. I was ...

... unresponsive until after I awoke at the hospital with an IV in my arm and a heart monitor attached to my chest.Being that I had just suffered a seizure I was very distraught and confused. At the hospital they ran quite a few test on me,and kept me for observation. Now that I have been released and am feeling better the bills are starting to be delivered (I have no insurance of any kind). Am I responsible to pay these bills? I do not remember sighing any paper work or giving my permission for any services.

Toledo, OH -

John Maurice Holcomb

John Maurice Holcomb

Personal Injury Lawyer - Hamilton, OH

Yes, a person is responsible to pay for the reasonable value of emergency services. Uninsured patients are routinely billed outrageous sums. You should try to negotiate these bills down to a reasonable amount. If the providers will not work with you, then dispute the charges, and, if they sue, defend on the basis that the charges were unreasonable.

Jann Collette Washington

Jann Collette Washington

Bankruptcy Attorney - Cleveland, OH

You may also contact the hospital to see if there is any type of charity care available for those without insurance. Many of the hospitals reduce the amount owed if you meet certain income guidelines. Contact the hospital's financial services counselor.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Philadelphia, PA

Yes. Try to work out a payment plan, and it would be a good idea to get insurance.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Norman Antonio Stiteler

Norman Antonio Stiteler

Health Care Lawyer - Corrales, NM

Most hospitals have a charity care policy. It will require you to provide your income and personal expenses, but it will also permit them to reduce your bill. You could also negotiate to the medicare rate, although many insurers now pay below medicare. The main thing is, you can negotiate the bill, don't let them tell you they don't.

If you find it difficult to negotiate, you could hire an attorney to do so for you.

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson

Criminal Defense Attorney - Hillsdale, MI

You received the service, and so you owe. Good think they did not wait until you woke up and signed befreo treating you. Hospitals are happier with some money than none, and will often negotiate payment plans.

Related Advice