I was taken into custody without being told I was arrested for a DUI

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lawrenceville, GA

I was pulled over for speeding I had a few beers to drink earlier that day and went to pick a friend up from the bar he was very drunk then I was pulled over and he asked me to blow into the test I said no then he told me to get out of the car and asked me again I said no again then he just put cuffs on me and put me in the car with out telling me why I blew at the jail and it was a .038 I'm under 21 I still didn't know what I was being charged with until the jail gave me my papers. Can he take me into custody with out telling me I'm under arrest and is there anything I can do to possibly beat the DUI?

1. Morris Hugh Wiltshire Jr.

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . You can and should fight this DUI. In Georgia, an underage driver may be charged with DUI for a BAC of .02% or higher. Yours is higher but that does not mean you don't have a defense....you probably have several. Scientifically and medically, you were not under the influence at .038 and the penalties DUI are too long lasting to treat this lightly. Sadly, as a young Georgia driver convicted of an under 21 DUI.....even though you were not actually impaired.....you would get stuck with a criminal record that potential employers and grad schools can and will use against you. As a former DUI prosecutor and someone who regularly represents people charged with DUI in Gwinnett County I can tell you that it is worth trying to fight this DUI and that a skilled lawyer can help you. Don't let one simple mistake damage your future.

2. Michael Jason Rhoades

1

Answered . Without more information, it is impossible to give you a complete answer. However, as a Gwinnett practitioner, I can tell you now that, the sooner you get an attorney working to get all the facts and protect your rights, the better your chances are. DO NOT WAIT to get help!
    Please let me know if I can be of assistance. I would be happy to help.
    Regards,
    M. Jason Rhoades

3. George F. Mccranie IV

Pro

1

Answered . First- There is no requirement that law enforcement tell you that you are under arrest. Quite frankly, I'm sure you realized that you had been arrested for DUI when you were placed in handcuffs. The actual time of Arrest is important in the case. For example after you are arrested your responses to questions may be suppressed (kept out of evidence) by a competent DUI Defense Attorney. I believe your refusal to take the officers Preliminary Breath Test on the side of the road will help your defense. I would strongly advise you to retain the best DUI Defense Attorney that is available to you - ASAP!!! The quicker you move to protect yourself the better in a DUI case. I hope this information has helped you. Good Luck! George McCranie IV

4. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

2

Answered . Yes, there is something you can do. Hire a local DUI/DWI lawyer as soon as possible.

They do not have to tell you you are under arrest; they usually do because it tends to make most people more cooperative than shoving them around.

If GA has an absolute sobriety requirement for underage drinkers driving, they may have you on that. This is a different charge from a DUI but still involves loss of license.