I was T-boned by an insured driver. No satisfaction from adjustors. Can I sue Farmer's/Century 21 in CA small claims court?

Asked 10 months ago - Visalia, CA

Dealing with Help Point adjustors. Won't even offer to cover 19 chiropractic visits. Accident was so violent it bent the unibody. Other driver 100% at fault, quite elderly and died a few months after accident, (not due to accident). Who do I name in a small claims action. He was insured by Century 21 but all accident correspondence comes from Farmers and the unreasonable people I have to work with are from Help Point. Do I name all of the above an the estate of the person who hit me? Any help regarding California law would be appreciated. Thank you

1. David Lee Fiol

10

2

Best Answer

Answered . You can sue the estate by its administrator or executor, serving that person if you know who it is. Alternatively, under California Probate Code, Sections 550-554, you can name the estate but serve the insurance company, as long as your claim is within the insurance limits. To serve the insurance company you can ask them who their agent is for claims under the Probate Code, or serve the agent listed for the company with the California Secretary of State.

2. Barry P. Goldberg

Pro

9

1

Answered . No unfortunately you cannot sue the adverse party's insurance company or its personnel. Believe it or not, under California law they owe you no duty whatsoever. If you do sue, you simply name the adverse driver and his insurer will defend him.
    21st Century was acquired by Farmers Insurance Company and the claims handling has been consolidated and they call it---of all things--"help point!"
    My experience over 29 years is not favorable with Farmers from a claim handling and efficiency standpoint.
    As for putting the pressure on the "help point" adjusters-- try reporting them to the California Insurance Commissioner if they have unreasonable handled your claim, have delayed communications with you or have misrepresented any material fact.
    I hope this helps!
    Good luck!

3. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

8

Answered . If the accident was of the serious type, you must have also suffered bodily injury. Do not consider small claims court. See an attorney in VISA and get yourself some representation. They will change their tune after that. Best of luck.

4. Frank Marvin Nunes

7

Answered . I feel your frustration. Farmers, aka 21st Century has gone the way of a lot of other insurance companies by putting cases to a committee or claims team. I would guess that you claim is being handled by the Northern California Claims Team.

Putting cases to a committee eliminates the personal responsibility of handling the claim. It is designed so you never get the same claims adjuster on the phone twice. This forces you to explain the situation again each time you call. It is part of the insurance companies’ goal - DENY, DELAY AND DEFEND. Eventually people get frustrated and give up.

I used to work as an attorney for Farmers so I know firsthand how they operate.

I don't see why you are going small claims since you may have a case above the $7,500 cap.

Check with a lawyer about your case. Let him or her deal with Farmers and their big corporate gamesmanship.

Remember if you file small claims, and Farmers looses, they can file an appeal and the whole process begins all over, except this time they will have one of their lawyer, most likely one know, hand the appeal hearing.

5. Daniel Danny Geoulla

6

Answered . The procedure for pursing an estate is pretty technical. Many attorneys don't even know the laws. Have you considered hiring an attorney who (familiar with pursing an estate) to help you? The last thing you want is to mess up and lose your right to bring a claim forever... Also, if the insurance company sees that you have an attorney, they will probably take your claim more seriously (they normally do).

6. Michael Shemtoub

5

Answered . Why are you suing in small claims court??? If you were injured and/or have more than $8k in property damage you should be suing in superior court. Trust me, hire a lawyer! You'll get a much better settlement, quicker results and the respect of the insurance company. Were you injured? We all offer free consultations.

7. Dean Bailis Gordon

5

Answered . Your case appears to have a likely value in excess of the amount for which you can sue in small claims court. Since the responsible party has died, you may be required to file a claim with his Estate, if there is one. An attorney may be able to help you file such a claim or bring a claim against the Estate for the amount of the insurance policy and/or other assets of the Estate. This can be very complicated. I handled a similar case that took several years and required filing lots of paperwork with the Court. You definitely need an attorney experienced in personal injury and probate claims.

Pro

5

1

Answered . A personal injury lawyer would sue the estate.