I was sued in federal court for trademark infringement for the website i have taken out, is this case civil or criminal?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

is this purely civil or criminal case for trademark infringement case?

1. Andrew Kevin Jacobson

Pro

14

1

Answered . If you we're not arrested, then it is civil, and you have 21 days to answer the complaint.

2. James Juo

11

Best Answer

Answered . Most trademark infringement cases are civil, but some trademark cases are criminal. Have you been served yet with the complaint? Have you been asked to waive service of process? Or did someone simply inform you that a lawsuit had been filed in federal court against you? In any event, you should consult with a trademark attorney about your case.

3. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

13

Answered . Most likely civil unless the plaintiff is the Government, in which case you would have been arrested if it was criminal. If the plaintiff is an individual or a business, it's civil. Were you served or did you waive service? Your response time differs depending on which. http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcp/rule_12 At any rate, see a trademark litigation attorney promptly, as if served you have a limited time for reply, usually 21 days and there are various ways to respond, depending on whether you contest jurisdiction or challenge the sufficiency of the pleadings or will just answer the complaint. You might review the FRCP briefly, but Federal case responses will generally require a litigator admitted to the Federal Court in which you are sued . Do not do a response on your own without first seeing a litigator.

4. Nicholas Duane Myers

8

Answered . In all likelihood, this is a civil matter since you make no mention of having been arrested. If the Plaintiff is another person or is a business, then in all likelihood it is a civil matter. To be absolutely sure, look at the causes of action listed on the Complaint and see if they are based upon civil rather than criminal codes/law.

Best of luck.

5. William Charles Sipio

9

Answered . If it was criminal, you would know. You would have had an initial appearance with a magistrate. Most likely it is civil. You need a qualified intellectual property attorney. If you don't respond to the suit, a default judgment may be entered against you.

6. Leah S Snyder

5

Answered . Go see a trademark attorney as soon as possible. Take copies of any of the documents in your possession. As the other answers indicate, you have a limited time to act.

7. A. Jase Allen

1

Answered . Who filed the complaint against you? Was it a person/business entity or the state?