I was stung by a sting ray I was rushed to the ER where they told me I couldnt be in as much pain as I was saying I was.

Gainesville, FL |

They took xrays to make sure there wasn't a barb, gave me a tetanus shot and sewed the wound shut. I had to go back to the ER (different er,same company) and was told I had a blood infection (celeuitis) and was given an oral antibiotic and sent home,half way through my antibiotic my leg became worse with swelling and infection, I had to quit my day job weeks earlier than expected because I couldn't be on my feet for the duration of two jobs a day. I went back to the ER and they told me that it looks like it "might be getting better" .but gave me another bacterial antibiotic they took the stitches out since I was admit to have them removed. now having to see wound specialist, to try to heal this now 3cm wide by 2cm open wound. it has been over 2 months since incident.

I am sorry, but I do not see a question here.

If your condition was "celulitis", it is an infection of fat cells, not of the blood. I know, I have had celulitis on a couple of occasions--I need to lose a lot of weight but at 59 years of age I do not think it is going to happen. I went through that entire process you describe. And the swelling does get worse, because the infection is being attacked by the antibiotic and those cells are dying but they have no way to get out of the body.

BUT, I AM NOT A DOCTOR so can not give medical advise.

As for legal advise, it may be difficult to find negligence on the part of the health care provider. You should have a face-to-face meeting with a personal injury attorney to go into specific detail.

I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. While Avvo is a wonderful resource, nothing can be a substitute for an in-depth consultation with an attorney in the jurisdiction in which the law is to be applied. This response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

It doesn't sound like you have a valid medical negligence claim. This is a fairly typical course for a patient that gets stung by an animal like a sting ray. Infections develop in these situations quite often. There is no physician or antibiotic that can necessarily ensure it will not occur. It's just a natural consequence of getting stung in the first place.

thank you all for you answers... I guess my question besides do I have a case ..would have been if they wouldnt of sewed the wound shut and would of let it properly drain would I not be in this situation? From speaking with doctors I have seen they have all told me the wound because of the venom and such should be left to drain,not stitched,so it doesnt cause infection...

Nothing in the information provided would support a medical malpractice claim at this point. If the healing process results in a serious or permanent medical situation, you should consult with an attorney in your area specializing in medical malpractice claims.

Animal law topics

Recommended articles about Animal law