I was stopped in Twin Falls, ID for DUI and I live in Portland, OR. My arraignment date is Monday 3/18/2013...need some advise.

Asked over 1 year ago - Portland, OR

I called the courts in Twin Falls and they gave me a fax number to enter a plea at which time they will give me a court date...should I plea guilty? I blew over the limit.

1. Troy Austin Pickard

6

Answered . You need to consult with an Idaho criminal defense lawyer before you do ANYTHING.

2. Orion Jacob Nessly

5

Answered . Because you were charged in Idaho, that state's law is going to apply and you need to consult with an Idaho criminal defense attorney who handles DUIs in the county in which you are being charged. You should do so quickly because your arraignment is on Monday. You don't want an additional charge such as a failure to appear or for a warrant to go out for your arrest. It sounds like they are allowing you to enter a plea remotely, but you will need to consult with an Idaho DUI attorney to make sure you are properly appearing. This attorney should also be able to advise you on whether you qualify for any sort of diversion program, on the effects of your plea, and on any defenses that you might have.

It wouldn't hurt to re-post your question in the Idaho section, but if I were you., I'd start calling attorneys now. Many criminal defense attorneys are set up to take calls from clients on weekends and evenings.

3. Richard E Oberdorfer

Pro

3

Answered . When in doubt, the plea is "Not Guilty." The fact that your breath test was over the limit at some point may not be enough under a particular state's laws -- but ultimately you need an Idaho lawyer to help you, not us schmos. We're not licensed to practice there.

4. Jake Kathleen Marcus

3

Answered . I highly recommend you retain counsel in Iowa rather than simply plead guilty. There are often diversion programs available if you are a first offender that could leave you without a criminal record. For a DUI, you will likely have to return to Iowa regardless even if you plead guilty. you need a lawyer.