I was stopped for "shoplifting" at Wal-Mart, what can happen if I don't pay?

Asked over 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

First off I did not shoplift and would admit if I did. I have epilepsy and have absent seizures and could have put something in my bag but I do not remember anything during these seizures. They are claiming I stole make-up but when they took it from my purse it was all my make-up they were claiming was theirs. It was all very used make-up as well, no were near new. They said I would receive a letter in mail for the amount I would owe them and I received that today. They say I owe them $300. They didn't show me the video of me taking anything, just me in the store looking at the make-up and then they stopped the video and wouldn't let me see any more. Do I have to pay this because I am low on money and cant afford this.

1. Slavik Steve Leydiker

4

Answered . If you weren't arrested, you don't have to pay anything. What you received is a civil demand. These have no legal force. These letters are sent by law firms intending to scare people into paying. It's nothing more than legal extortion. If they threaten to sue you or report you to the authorities, you don't need to worry. You will however continue to receive there letters for the foreseeable future.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

4

Answered . If and when you receive a civil demand letter, you do not have to pay it.

A civil demand is not a debt and you would only have to pay it if they successfully sued you. The likelihood of that happening is almost zilch.

Paying or not paying the civil demand will have no effect on any criminal actions which might be brought against you.

3. Michael Charles Doland

3

Answered . A civil demand letter from a private law firm or a company does not create an independent obligation to pay. A communication from a court, or a civil lawsuit is a different matter and you should then hire a lawyer immediately.

4. Steven Allan Whitworth

3

Answered . Hello,

Do not pay this request because nothing has been proven against you either in the criminal or the civil court. There is no judgment thus no legal effect. This is a transparent attempt to extort money from you without the legal authority.