I was stalked by someone I cannot identify.

Santa Barbara, CA |

Isn't stalking a crime? Polilce did not investigate my complaint and I was told that I need to take care of myself by taking self-defense and using pepper spray. I was also told that I need to know the stalker's name address and phone number. It seems strange because if someone is mugged or raped, you don't usually know who did those things, but it's still a crime. Yes?

Who do you want the police to arrest? You don't know so they can't know. They could investigate if you had given them some clues but it doesn't sound like you did. Yes, if you were raped or mugged by an unknown assailant it would be a crime. But it doesn't sound as if you suffered any harm and the "stalking" is not continuing.

No harm is mentioned in the question above. However, if harm was been done and the stalking did continue, what would be your recommendation?

Police have limited resources, which they allocate based on percieved need. Yes, if a person is mugged or raped they would spend resources investigating, but that is because catching mugger or rapist is considerd right priority. Without any ability to identify a stalker the police would need to expend a great deal of resources to follow up (IE they would need to have you tailed). At this point they have determined that this isn't worth the cost. If the problem continues, call the police again. If you are being continually followed, at some point the police will come to the realization that you may be in real danger, and will allocate greater resources to protecting you.

Is it typical police procedure to tail people who have been stalked? Do you know of any cases where that kind of action has occured? It sounds as though you have to risk your life and live in fear until something worse than stalking happens to you.

You expect the police to find an arrest someone you not only cannot identify, but have provided no details about.

Assuming you have a cell phone and that phone has a camera function, you can photograph this alleged stalker. You can also phone in a description, with the location.

In the meantime, you would do well to obtain some pepper spray and some basic self-defense training.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

When crimes occur the perpetrator is not always identifiable. I was under the impression that the police are specially trained to uncover the mysteries of who dunnit. The question above does not specifically make the reference; so how do you know cell phone photos were not taken?

Keith G Langer

Keith G Langer

If you had provided the police with some actual information, they would have had something to act on. You didn't. Neither did you make any mention of providing photos to them. Hence the obvious conclusion that you took no photos, cell phone or otherwise.

The statement above does not give details about information that was exchanged between anyone, including the police. You sound as though you have the inside scoop. You have declared: If you had...you didn't... neither did you. How do you know what happened or didn't happen well enough to say those things definitively? It sounds as though you are attacking the person asking the question for not solving their own crime by arming themselves with cameras and lifting the identification cards from the criminals themselves. When 911 happened no one knew what happened at first, but after law enforcement investigated the matter, they learned, names, faces and other background information, but neither the criminals nor the victims provided them with the details. I believe it’s called good police work.