Skip to main content

I was sleeping with my attorney and he agreed to my probation without telling me any of the conditions, now what can I do?

New York, NY |

Any time I asked him any questions he ignored me or didn't know the answers and when I met probation they told me my attorney was supposed to tell me about all of the terms. On my plea it just said probation and my lawyer/lover failed to tell me so many things. I did not accept probation yet and don't know if I should turn it down. I am hurt and feel my attorney dropped the ball and never want to see him again. He is more worried about him getting in trouble for starting a relationship with me than anything that is going on with my case. I feel used and ignored. Now I have no idea what to do. Do I replace him? What would I tell the judge?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. It seems to make sense to hire a new attorney at this point.

    Scott Gross
    Former Prosecutor

    This is not a solicitation nor is it legal advice. An attorney/client relationship has not been established. The Law Offices of Scott Gross, PC 631-456-2326

  2. Other than a matrimonial case, there is no per se rule about an attorney sleeping with a client. I do suggest you you get a new lawyer though.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  3. Hire a new attorney who wil go over everything with you and help you determine what options you may have at this point.

  4. The only ethical prohibition as to having sex with an attorney is if the client is a matrimonial client. Then, your question raises more questions then it explains. You state that you met with probation but did not accept probation. Rest assured if you allocuted to a plea for a term of probation you allocuted to the terms in open court and you signed off on the terms in the court record. Like many criminal defendants you likely were not paying attention or were in denial. If you would like you can retain an attorney to pull the file and review for some sort of constitutional error to restore your case to the calendar. Expect to spend up to $10,000 for that service.

  5. You have to replace him and get advice that is not tainted. You tell the judge nothing. Your new lawyer will speak with the judge.

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

DUI topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics