I was shown a settlement figure during mediation. My lawyer had deducted fees, expenses from that figure. His assistant checked

Asked over 1 year ago - Leavenworth, KS

his math. When going into office to sign checks, agreements, the net that I would receive was 10,000. short of what the lawyer had shown me at the end of mediation. His assistant said it was because he had to do a court filing. Went from 33% to 45% fee. Outrageous.

I don't see how anything changed from the time he showed me the net I would receive at the end of the mediation which I agreed with (for the lower figure, I would have wanted a court date) and a week later when I was asked to sign the checks that the insurance companies had given him for this settlement. I think my only option is to hire another attorney. What kind of attorney should I hire? Thank you in advance.

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Best Answer

Answered . Did you have a question?

Talk to the lawyer him/herself, not the front desk clerk or billing person.

What does your representation agreement with this attorney say regarding fees--in particular if a court filing is required? The rates you mention are not outside the bandwidth of acceptability.

Many states have a Fee Dispute Resolution process set--see if your state does if you believe the fees excessive.

FWIW, the time to question fees is maximized if its executed before a representation agreement is signed--your rights diminish significantly, but not altogether, after signing.

2. Philip Scott Hedrick

Answered . I think that you should meet face-to-face with your attorney to discuss this matter. You should not be speaking only with his assistant. This all may be misunderstanding. Remember that a problem with hiring another lawyer is that you will incur additional legal expense. You should also determine if your state has a method of resolving attorney fee disputes. I am not a Kansas lawyer and did not offer this as legal at advice.

3. Beverly G Johnson Grant

Pro

Answered . Have you signed the final accounting settlement which this amount of $10,000 less?