Skip to main content

I was sexually harassed by my boss & HR's solution is for me to talk through a middle-man. Is this retaliation?

Lincoln, NE |

For a period of 4-5 months, my boss would tell me I looked sexy, smelled good, was going to get him in trouble, etc. I told his boss, he told HR. HR concluded their investigation & says "appropriate action has been taken." HR says they understand I don't feel comfortable dealing with him, so I should just communicate with the harasser's boss, who is quitting in a week & won't be replaced. I work from home usually, but do go into the office. This is severely limiting my interactions with the team. I do not want to work with my boss. I feel completely uncomfortable. I haven't been able to sleep & this has been causing a health issue to flare up. Is this retaliation? What rights do I have? Can they force me to work with him? I don't want to quit but feel like I'm being forced out.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You really should consult with your own employment law attorney. I always think it is wise to visit with an attorney who specializes in sexual harassment cases and discuss these matters in detail and get legal advice as what would be your best course of action. An attorney can give you an opinion as to whether you have a viable claim, and what procedural steps you should take. Most attorneys handle these cases on a contingency percentage fee, taking a percentage of the recovery. There are no hourly fees and most attorneys do not charge anything for an initial appointment to discuss your case.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at


According to Nebraska law you must make a claim for sexual harassment with the Nebraska Equal Opportunity Commission within 300 days of the alleged sexual harassment or your claim may be barred. You can review the NEOC website along with the EEOC website for more information. I would recommend speaking to an attorney. I will advise I do have experience on these type of matters and would be willing to discuss this matter with you. Thanks. Doug Novotny

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer