I was sexually and verbally harassed constantly by a male employee. I told my manager and the store manager but nothing was done

Asked about 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

The last time I was harassed was a few days before I quit. A new manager was hired at our store (Walgreens) and I reported the harassment to him. Him also did nothing. I was even written up just for being a little late. I quit my job and have been trying to find a lawyer to represent me in a lawsuit against Walgreens who failed to protect me from being harassed. I am a female with a small son and I have rights! I should not have to put up with this type of inappropriate behavior in the workplace. I am always uncomfortable and the store manager tried to sweep the matter under the rug. What shall I do?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Use the find a lawyer function of this site to find an employment lawyer.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was... more
  2. Christopher Quincy Davis

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact an employment lawyer. Reliable legal advice will allow you to make decisions with a sense of control even when your workplace is abusive and chaotic.

    My communications on this site are for the purpose of educating the general public about legal issues and not for... more
  3. Michael S. Haber


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You refer to the fact that the last time you were harassed was just a few days before you quit. You don't, however, draw a connection between the harassment and the quitting. In a lawsuit or a proceeding before a human rights agency, whether you are looking for other work will be a relevant factor.

    You also don't say much about the nature of the harassment, other than that it was based on apparent sex discrimination. While you say it was constant, the details will determine whether it was sufficiently frequent and sufficiently severe.

    You should consult an attorney promptly. And please bear in mind that there is only a limited amount of time to file a charge with a human rights agency or to commence a lawsuit.

    Good luck to you.

    Michael S. Haber is a New York attorney. As such, his responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,517 answers this week

2,990 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,517 answers this week

2,990 attorneys answering