I was sexually and verbally harassed constantly by a male employee. I told my manager and the store manager but nothing was done

Bronx, NY |

The last time I was harassed was a few days before I quit. A new manager was hired at our store (Walgreens) and I reported the harassment to him. Him also did nothing. I was even written up just for being a little late. I quit my job and have been trying to find a lawyer to represent me in a lawsuit against Walgreens who failed to protect me from being harassed. I am a female with a small son and I have rights! I should not have to put up with this type of inappropriate behavior in the workplace. I am always uncomfortable and the store manager tried to sweep the matter under the rug. What shall I do?

1. Use the find a lawyer function of this site to find an employment lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. Contact an employment lawyer. Reliable legal advice will allow you to make decisions with a sense of control even when your workplace is abusive and chaotic.

My communications on this site are for the purpose of educating the general public about legal issues and not for offering situation-specific legal advice. By answering your questions, I am not agreeing to serve as your attorney, and my answers should be treated as they are intended - informal and not as a substitute for a formal legal consultation. If you are seeking an individual consultation, please do so by emailing me at cdavis@stollglickman.com.

3. You refer to the fact that the last time you were harassed was just a few days before you quit. You don't, however, draw a connection between the harassment and the quitting. In a lawsuit or a proceeding before a human rights agency, whether you are looking for other work will be a relevant factor.

You also don't say much about the nature of the harassment, other than that it was based on apparent sex discrimination. While you say it was constant, the details will determine whether it was sufficiently frequent and sufficiently severe.

You should consult an attorney promptly. And please bear in mind that there is only a limited amount of time to file a charge with a human rights agency or to commence a lawsuit.

Good luck to you.

Michael S. Haber is a New York attorney. As such, his responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to his understanding of law in the jurisdiction in which he practices and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as rendering legal advice involves the ability of the attorney to ask appropriate questions of the person seeking such advice and to thus gather appropriate information. In addition, an attorney/client relationship is formed only by specific agreement. The purpose of this answer is to provide the questioner with general information, not to outline specific legal rights and remedies.