I was sexually and verbally harassed constantly by a male employee. I told my manager and the store manager but nothing was done

Asked about 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

The last time I was harassed was a few days before I quit. A new manager was hired at our store (Walgreens) and I reported the harassment to him. Him also did nothing. I was even written up just for being a little late. I quit my job and have been trying to find a lawyer to represent me in a lawsuit against Walgreens who failed to protect me from being harassed. I am a female with a small son and I have rights! I should not have to put up with this type of inappropriate behavior in the workplace. I am always uncomfortable and the store manager tried to sweep the matter under the rug. What shall I do?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . Use the find a lawyer function of this site to find an employment lawyer.

2. Christopher Quincy Davis

3

Answered . Contact an employment lawyer. Reliable legal advice will allow you to make decisions with a sense of control even when your workplace is abusive and chaotic.

3. Michael S. Haber

Pro

1

Answered . You refer to the fact that the last time you were harassed was just a few days before you quit. You don't, however, draw a connection between the harassment and the quitting. In a lawsuit or a proceeding before a human rights agency, whether you are looking for other work will be a relevant factor.

You also don't say much about the nature of the harassment, other than that it was based on apparent sex discrimination. While you say it was constant, the details will determine whether it was sufficiently frequent and sufficiently severe.

You should consult an attorney promptly. And please bear in mind that there is only a limited amount of time to file a charge with a human rights agency or to commence a lawsuit.

Good luck to you.