I was sexually abused for 8 yrs by my stepfather, who fathered my two children can he be charged with abuse?

Asked 2 months ago - San Diego, CA

My stepfather started molesting me at age 11, I had my first child at 16 by him (stepfather) it continued and I had another child two yrs later all this time my mother knew and didn't protect me, I ran away many times to escape the abuse but they kept finding me and bringing me back. My stepfather works around children and I don't feel like he should, there is so much to this story there is not enough space I need help but the question is and I know the statue of limitations is 10 yrs with some exception but I to press charges against him I am now 32 yrs old and have a 14 and 16 yr old by my stepfather (they don't know that he is there father) can some one give me some advice please

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Mark A. Broughton


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . It may or may not be beyond the statute of limitations. But if you believe that he is a potential risk to other children you can report what happened to you to the police. They can conduct an investigation that can lead to charges being brought. You may also be able to speak to counselors or victim's advocates who can help you deal with your own issues. And yes, you can consult with an attorney who can discuss the particulars with you and help you get some relief.

  2. Mark Lawrence Deniz


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . If you believe you are a victim call the authorities. I would also consult with an attorney to know your rights.

    This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient... more
  3. Andrew Stephen Roberts


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Definitely speak with an attorney to discuss your options and filing of a police report.

  4. Karen Ilene Rose

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . The statute of limitations for criminal prosecution and civil suits of sex abuse of a minor is constantly changing and it may be too old to prosecute your step-father in criminal court and in civil court for damages. However, you can file a police report and inform child protective services of past sexual abuse which could make him ineligible to work around children. There are some exceptions for civil suits for damages and it is recommended that you consult with an attorney.

    This information is not intended as legal advice and is intended only to provide the questioner with general... more
  5. David Philip Shapiro


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Contact law enforcement and or your local DA's office.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,177 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,177 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering