I was sexually abused by a police officer 11 months ago in another state, can I sue the department, or the police officer?

Asked about 2 years ago - Memphis, TN

I am diagnosed with deprression and I was being transported to a psychiatric hospital when a police office sexually abused me while "patting me down". I was being transported to a hospital because I was very depressed.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Stephen Alan Sauer

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Typically, that kind of lawsuit would be brought in the state where the officer abused you. If you intend to file in Tennessee, you must do so immediately as Tennessee has a one year statute of limitations. This means, if you let more than a year go by from the time you were assaulted, you lose the right to sue the officer or the police department. Other states have different time limits. Contact a lawyer in that state immediately to see if you have a valid lawsuit.

    Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this... more
  2. Robert Daniel Kelly


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Your cause of action would be "assault and battery". Call a lawyer.

    [In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does... more
  3. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Do not delay calling a attorney in the state where this incident happened. Many states limit the time you have to file suit and also require that you file a claim first.

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,647 answers this week

3,112 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,647 answers this week

3,112 attorneys answering