I was sexually abused by a police officer 11 months ago in another state, can I sue the department, or the police officer?

Asked about 2 years ago - Memphis, TN

I am diagnosed with deprression and I was being transported to a psychiatric hospital when a police office sexually abused me while "patting me down". I was being transported to a hospital because I was very depressed.

1. Stephen Alan Sauer

Answered . Typically, that kind of lawsuit would be brought in the state where the officer abused you. If you intend to file in Tennessee, you must do so immediately as Tennessee has a one year statute of limitations. This means, if you let more than a year go by from the time you were assaulted, you lose the right to sue the officer or the police department. Other states have different time limits. Contact a lawyer in that state immediately to see if you have a valid lawsuit.

2. Robert Daniel Kelly

Pro

Answered . Your cause of action would be "assault and battery". Call a lawyer.

3. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

Answered . Do not delay calling a attorney in the state where this incident happened. Many states limit the time you have to file suit and also require that you file a claim first.