I was served with summons with notice, what should I do next?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

My wife filed for divorce and I was served with summons with notice. Is by contacting her lawyer considered that I respond within the 20 days period, or am I suppose to do it through the court?

1. Morghan L Richardson

Pro

9

Answered . You need to file a "Notice of Appearance" with the court and affirm that you served that Notice on the other lawyer. Preserve your rights by filing your appearance with the court but don't be afraid to see whether the lawyer might be drafting a proposal to resolve the case. You should hire a lawyer - if you know that the other lawyer is drafting an agreement, tell that to whomever you hire.

2. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . Formally, you must file a Notice of Appearance with the court, serve a copy on the opposing attorney and file an affidavit of service with the court that same has been served on the attorney. Some information on divorce cases may be found here: http://www.nycourts.gov/divorce/index.shtml. You're best advised to schedule a consultation with a NYC Divorce attorney.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  3. Daniel Yaniv

Pro

7

1

Answered . Contacting the attorney alone is not a response. You will need to file a Notice of Appearance with the court and serve the Notice on your wife's attorney. Here is sample http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/6jd/forms/SRForm....

4. Jeffrey B. Peltz

Pro

7

Answered . Telephone call won't do it. You need to file a notice of appearance with the court and send that to your wife's attorney. If you were served with just a summon with notice and no complaint you should demand the complaint. If you were served with the complaint you need to answer. You would best be served by retaining the services of an experienced divorce attorney.

5. Eric Edward Rothstein

6

Answered . You need to serve an Answer and you should hire a matrimonial lawyer.

6. David Alexander Browde

Pro

5

Answered . You should hire an attorney to file a Notice of Appearance - and move through the process.

7. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

5

Answered . Get a lawyer fast. The summons with notice must be responded through the opponent's counsel. It should be challenged because you don't want to lose most of what you own.

Be smart. Watch out. Good luck.

8. Dean George Tsourakis

Pro

5

Answered . You need to serve an answer on her attorney and the court. I really recommend you hire an attorney to do it rather than rely on advice from this forum.

9. Robin Jean Gray

Pro

Answered . You should contact an attorney to enter their notice of appearance and affirm with the court that you were served. The attorney can also assist you with the proposal and the process of the divorce to ensure your rights are protected.