Skip to main content

I was sent a subpoena for a deposition about my girlfriends divorce. How much info really needs to be brought?

Skokie, IL |
Filed under: Divorce

They want emails and texts and any gift receipts or personal greeting cards. Also receipt from going out. This divorce is going on 2 years. And they have not lived together since it started. Plus I don't save my emails and texts.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. emails and texts and any gift receipts or personal greeting cards. Also receipt from going out.

  2. You can't produce things you don't have. So don't.

    Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

  3. You bring everything that you can to comply but you cannot make up things you don't have. You would need to tell them those things gs were deleted as they came in.

    This comment is being left for informational purposes only and based solely on the information provided in the question. This comment does NOT create an attorney - client relationship. An attorney should be contact directly and given the full details of the specific circumstances in order to be best able to assist in the issues at hand.

  4. You should have a lawyer even though it is not your divorce. The lawyer should advise you and attend the deposition with you.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

  5. There may be a reason to object to some (But probably not all) of the items requested. But, sadly, that will require you to pay $$$ to retain an attorney to advise you on what to do. And likely you won't get that money back unless something egregious is happening. I'm sorry this is happening, but wish you the best.

  6. Hire a lawyer, and ask him or her to explore the possibility of your taking the 5th Amendment.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics