I was sent a letter from Asset Acceptance stating that I owe 1800.00. The original account was from a health club membership.

Asked about 3 years ago - Lakeland, FL

This debt is from 20 years ago. How should I proceed from a legal standpoint.

1. Donald Edward Petersen

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . I'll assume that "from 20 years ago" means what I'd think it means --- you haven't paid anyone any money towards this account in 20 years. If so, here are some pointers to get you started while you are waiting to speak with a Florida lawyer. (1) In an abundance of caution, check your credit reports just to make sure that no one has "re-aged" the debt. (See link below re : Zombie debts). (2) Log the calls. (A call log instructions and the logs are available on the tool bar on the link below). (3) Save the messages (I suggest you follow the instructions for logging calls and saving messages. (4) Remember, the expiration of the statute of limitations would not "extinguish" the debt if someone sued you on it you'd need to respond. For information about what a debt collector can lawfully do while attempting to collect a time barred debt, pls. refer to "Statute of Limitations" under the categories in the left hand column of my site. After you've read the educational materials, call a consumer lawyer who is licensed in Florida. Most of us provide consumers a free initial consultation concerning time barred debts and similar issues. Good Luck! Don Petersen

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

Answered . You could ignore the letter, you could respond asking that the creditor provide you with validation of the debt, or you could respond & say you dispute the debt.

The choice is really up to you.

Hope this perspective helps!

3. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Answered . Do NOT ignore the letter. Dispute the debt and make them prove its validity and their right to collect. Then, see a consumer law attorney for possible violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

4. Richard John Meier

Answered . The actual age of the debt depends on when you stopped paying it. If it was 20 years ago, then it is probably past the statute of limitations (i.e. too old for for you to get sued over it) but to be sure you have to check your state laws. Assuming it is a consumer debt and the debt is past the statute of limitations, I would argue that this a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) since they are trying to collect a debt that is legally uncollectable. By violating the FDCPA, the company is liable for up to $1,000 in statutory damages, and they have to pay your reasonable attorney fees and costs associated with bringing a claim.

If you would like to discuss how you can proceed, your should contact an FDCPA attorney in your area, or call me (312-242-1849) to discuss your potential case in more detail.