I was riding bicycle with traffic at t intersection driver made left and hit me said sun was in her eyes

Asked 9 months ago - Poughkeepsie, NY

i was knocked unconscious and injured badly. other driver is atty. stated she could not see me due to sun glare no summons issued as of yet

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

11

Answered . Sorry for your injuries. Based upon these facts, in my view, the driver is 100% at fault. Please do not speak with this drivers insurance company. They will only try to manipulate or contort the facts. All the best. Jeff.

2. Carol Lynn Schlitt

Pro

8

Best Answer

Answered . I hope you are okay and are able to make a full and fast recovery.
    Based on your brief description, you have the basis for a claim against the other driver. Make sure you notify the insurance company for the other driver that you want No Fault coverage. No Fault will pay for your lost wages, medical expenses and related expenses.

You may have a claim for additional damages beyond No Fault. Sun glare is not a valid defense. In the case of Lifson v. City of Syracuse, the New York Court of Appeals determined that glare from the setting sun should be anticipated by a driver and cannot be used as an excuse for striking a pedestrian. [removed]

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

11

Answered . Assuming you have taken care of your physical needs at this point, hire yourself a personal injury attorney on MONDAY!! Do not talk to anyone before you get that done -- to include the insurance carrier for the driver that hit you!

4. Eric Edward Rothstein

9

Answered . You should see a doctor and consult with a personal injury lawyer asap.

5. Yefim Rubinov

9

Answered . Get a lawyer and seek medical attention. At least she was honest

6. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

8

1

Answered . [removed] If sun glare was so bad that the driver could not see then she certainly should not have proceeded driving the car. Liability in this situation is clear. The only issue will be whether you sustained a serious injury under the law and the permanency of your injuries. Best of luck.

7. Michael David Myers

Pro

8

Answered . We just resolved a case where the driver asserted that the sun was in her eyes. Under Washington law--and I suspect the law of most states--this is not a defense.

8. Rafael Omar Gomez

6

Answered . The lack of summons does not mean you do not have any legal recourse. Based on what you have described it sounds like you have a legitimate case and you should retain counsel as soon as possible. Our office provides free legal consultations, as do most personal injury attorneys. There are a variety of time frames that come into play so if you would like to pursue this you should do so quickly. [removed]

9. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

4

1

Answered . [removed]

10. Steven Miller

3

Answered . See an attorney asap

11. James Joseph Cupero

Pro

3

Answered . Consult a personal injury lawyer in your area right away.

Pro

4

Answered . Then get a Poughkeepsie personal injury lawyer asap to pursue a claim

13. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

2

Answered . In NY, the courts have repeatedly held that a claim of 'failure to see due to sun glare" is not an acceptable defense in almost any instance for being involved in an accident. That is because the law requires each driver to operate his/her vehicle in a reasonable manner under the circumstances then prevailing. As such, if there is a condition that affects the ability to see, one most be more cautious before proceeding to turn, than usual. The fact that a summons was not issued, or at least not yet, does not diminish any claim you have. As this happened in NY, you should file a No-Fault claim with the woman's auto insurance carrier [and if you owned a car as well I would also file a no-fault claim with your own carrier for protective purposes]., so as to get the hospital bill and any additional medical bills had or that will be had, paid. GET YEE TO A PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY IMMEDIATELY and without delay. Not only does the no-fault application have to be filed within 30 days of the accident or you can lose no-fault benefits, but there are other things the attorney can do right away that will protect your rights.

14. Abraham Jaros

2

Answered . I suggest that you contact an experienced personal injury attorney so that they can evaluate your case. Most personal injury attorneys will provide a free consultation. You do sound like you have a good case to recover for your injuries.

15. Mitchell Jan Birzon

Pro

1

Answered . She has a liability problem and you have a serious claim. Retain an attorney now. An investigator with field experience should be used by your counsel to investigate and recreate the visionary field.

16. Michael R Varble, Esq.

Pro

1

Answered . Make sure you speak to an experience personal injury attorney as soon as you are feeling better. Hopefully you called the police and they responded to the scene and issued a report too.

17. Michael A. Rose

Pro

Answered . I would not be concerned about whether the driver was issued a summons. Without knowing full details, I would expect the other driver to be largely responsible for this accident if they failed to yield the right o fway to you. Be aware of the 30 day deadline for no fault benefits for your medical bills and wages if applicable. You should hire a qualified personal injury attorney.