I was represented by a law firm for a medical malpractice suit in CA. They filed an extension ststing they were reresenting me

The then send me the IM SORRY letter 10 days later. tHEY HAD MY CASE FOR OVER 10 MONTHS. wHAT DO i DO NOW?

Lincoln, CA -

Attorney Answers (2)

Gregory Lynn Johnson

Gregory Lynn Johnson

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Thousand Oaks, CA

Your first priority to is protect your medical malpractice case. From your description, it sounds like suit has not been filed, which means the statute of limitations is running, and you need to act quickly. Take that letter from your (former) lawyers, as well as any other file materials you have, and make an appointment with another medical malpractice firm immediately. They will be able to tell you where you stand. You can use AVVO or a lawyer referral service in your county to find a lawyer.

IF you find out that the prior lawyers allowed the statute of limitations to run or "dumped" you only a few days prior, then you may need a legal malpractice lawyer, but that is premature. In fact, you have a duty to do everything you can to preserve your original claim, but again, please act quickly.

David J. McCormick

David J. McCormick

Personal Injury Lawyer - Milwaukee, WI

You need to get your file and find another malpractice attorney ASAP. As stated, if your statute of limitation does run, then you will need a legal malpractice attorney.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.