Skip to main content

I was released on ROR but now I have a gps bracelet on me and I cant leave the county, can I hire an attorney to get this gps?

Orlando, FL |

i was recently arrested for poss of cannabis and battery on a leo....all did was open the door which hit the officer by accident and he roughed me up....i was released on ror, i have a gps ankle and cannot leave the county, what gives, i need to leave the county to visit family and go to work

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


You can have an attorney petition the court to alter the terms of your release to allow you to go to work and or visit family outside of the county. The court can restrict the times of travel as well as put other restrictions in place.


Call a few criminal defense attorney's in the Orlando area and they will be able to tell you what you can reasonably expect a judge or prosecutor to do to someone in your situation.


You will need an attorney to file a motion with the Trial Court judge in order to have your conditions of release (the GPS and County restrictions) modified.

This information is for general purpose only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney- client relationship.


What gives? Really?

Look, you may be telling the god's honest truth (meaning that you may be the true "victim" in this case) but apparentrly you have an awful lot to learn about both authority and the criminal justice system.

What you "need" to do is to obey the terms and conditions of yourbond - or you will find out what authority and the c/j system are... as your bond will be revoked and you will rot in jail while waiting to sell your version of events to a jury who will likely believe the cop in the pressed uniform with the US Flag stitched on her / his shoulder.

That said, if you wish to make a "request" of the Court - to modify the conditions of your bond or otherwise - then you'd better drop the 'tude, hire an experienced 407 area criminal defense lawyer, let her/him prepare, file, calendar and litigate the matter and learn how to be both humble and respectful to the one person who controls your immediate fate - the Judge.

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)


You are out "conditionally" you could be taken back in if you violate the conditions of your bond. So don't, until you hire an attorney, and that attorney can make a motion for permission for you to travel. Also, that attorney may also help you get out of the case. Play it low-key, plan a strategy with your attorney and go try to beat your case.

The information provided is not legal advice from Criminal Defense Lawyer Albert Quirantes, or the Ticket Law Center in Miami, Florida. There is no attorney client privilege created in this communication. Do not send questions which are confidential in nature by either this venue or via email. Personal questions should be asked in person or via telephonic conference only. You should only ask theoretical questions of a general nature.


It's highly unlikely any Orange County judge will agree to let you leave the country. Just asking makes you a flight risk.

I only practice in the areas of personal injury, federal civil rights, and criminal law. I will not answer inquiries about legal representation in other areas of law, so please do not call me about matters outside my areas of practice. Furthermore, my answers on Avvo do not create an attorney-client relationship. Avvo is not designed for the type of legal analysis I personally require to accept a case. You should always seek a consultation with a licensed attorney who practices in the specific area of law who can fully review the facts of your case..


You need to speak with an attorney to modify your terms of release. This includes both traveling and removing the GPS.

This answer is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. Your particular situation should be discussed extensively with an attorney that can provide appropriate legal case evaluation.


The ankle monitor was a condition of your pre-trial release from jail. An attorney can file a motion on your behalf to delete that condition from your release. It usually will take a few days, but they can have it ordered before you leave. Contact an attorney in Orlando and they should be able to help you out with the motion for a reasonable fee. If you hire an attorney for the entire case, they would be able to take care of it as well. Best of luck.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer