I was recently in a car accident and the police did not do a very good investigation. I was traveling through a green light and

Asked about 2 years ago - Oneida, NY

Noticed as I was underneath the light it had turned yellow and I was struck by another driver. I had my children as well as my cousin and her children and thank goodness no one was hurt, but one child did have a bruise on her face and was checked out at the hospital. There were several thrid party witnesses for it was a busy road and they were standing wtih us helping with the children, but the officers did not take statements from anyone. THe officer in charge never talked to me ( I was the driver), but put a statement in stating I had. When I asked him he swore he had talked to me. When asked why he did not question the witnesses he stated "It was choas at the time." I have asked the for witnesses to call the police by placing it in the paper, but no such luck. Do I have a case?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . Do you have a case against the police? NO. Do you have a case against hte other driver? MAYBE. In NY, a person suing in a motor vehicle accident has to prove they suffered "serious injury" as defined by the Insurance Law and I doubt a bruise will qualify. The statements attributed to you by the police officer in the police report could be admissible in a motion during the case and the officer could testify to what he says you stated at trial. If you have collission insurance, let you carrier deal with repairing the car; if you don't you can sue the other driver for the property damage if you can't resolve it with his carrier.

2. Robert Don Fink

3

Answered . I don’t know what you mean when you ask if you have a case… if you are asking if you have a case because the police did not modify the report- then no you don’t have a case. If you are asking if you have a case for personal and/or property damage, then you may have a case. Talk with a personal injury lawyer.

3. Steven Mark Sweat

Pro

2

Answered . The police report is inadmissible hearsay. Hire an attorney to interview the witnesses and get the information to support your claim.