I was recently divorced through the Superior Court of California Placer County and my ex had an attorney and I did not.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

Needless to say, I did not end up with an equitable division of our assets. My concern is with the language in the "Order after Hearing" that was filed by his attorney. The attorney wrote that "All arrears are set at zero". I need direction on how to have this removed from the "Order" as I never agreed to this as settlement nor did my ex ever file to have his arrears reduced or "set at zero". My ex is more than 32,000 in arrears and I want to have the State help me collect but fear they won't be able to with how the Order reads. I believe I read somewhere that the Judge (or Commissioner in my case) does not have jurisdiction to cancel or set at zero child support arrears.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Matthew Jacob Rudy

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As noted in the prior answer there seems to be a significant number of facts missing from your question that precludes an attorney from giving you meaningful advise in this forum. However, with regards to collecting on any arrears that may exist you should contact your county Department of Child Support Services, assuming that your case involves child support and not just spousal support. The Department will assist you in collecting support from your ex-husband at no cost, although the process may move more slowly than it would through private counsel.

    You should also consult with an experienced family law attorney in your local community to determine what options you may have with regards to an appeal, set aside, or motion for reconsideration. Time is a significant factor in all of these options and accordingly you should meet with an attorney as soon as possible.

    Any substantive or procedural information contained in this response is for informational purposes only. The... more
  2. Hillary Johns

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm sorry that you're going through this. There are a lot of facts here which you didn't mention and you do have a statue of limitations issue. My suggestion: hire a lawyer to review the order and your case for your and advise you as to how to proceed. Avvo is intended for general answers and to be informational. You probably saw the disclaimer Avvo gives to all Avvo askers. What you're asking is really for legal advice which would necessitate an attorney client relationship.

  3. Diana Lucia Martinez

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately, you are already experiencing the consequences of not have an attorney. And, now, you are continuing that same path, expecting a different result. Unless you have a full understanding of California Family Law and California Evidence Code, you are going to have the same results as you experienced previously. There are a number of places that provide free/low cost legal services for those who qualify. For those who do not, it is a choice to either hire an attorney or not. The decision to not hire an attorney can end up costing you more than it would have to retain qualified counsel.

    I agree with my learned colleagues: there is not enough information to give you an accurate response - it's like asking a Doctor to diagnose you without allowing him/her to examine you first. This forum is for general information. Your situation is complex and requires focused legal examination.

    Get an attorney before you create more regrets.

    Since the information provided in your question is very limited and I have not had an opportunity to review all... more
  4. Margaret Davalene Wilson

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Time is of the essence and you need to hire an attorney immediately in your are who can help you. If it is an order after hearing you only have 10 days to file a motion for reconsideration and you must provide new facts, something that an experienced lawyer will know how to do.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce Court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,696 answers this week

2,992 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,696 answers this week

2,992 attorneys answering