Skip to main content

I was rear ended recently and my car went forward and hit the car in front of me. I have neck pain/back pain:/

Modesto, CA |

Im injured but I have no health coverage? What can I do?. Accident occured oct.4,2013 around 11am. Insurance company are still filing the claim. Any suggestions? ?

Attorney Answers 11

  1. Sorry to hear about your accident. You need to contact a personal injury attorney ASAP. The majority of us offer free consultations and can set you up with a doctor--so, don't worry about any out-of-pocket costs.

    Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

  2. You need to not speak to any of the insurance companies; not even yours. Then, immediately consult with an attorney who can send you for treatment without you having to pay any monies out of your pocket. Most lawyers will consult with you for free and you can find someone in your area through the Avvo search finder. Do not delay because the longer it takes for you to get in to be examined by a doctor and start your treatment, the more the value of your case will be prejudiced. Best of luck!

    Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.

  3. You need to talk to a personal injury lawyer. Medical care is often available on a lien basis - you get the care you need, and the providers are paid from your settlement.

  4. If you were rear ended then you are eligible to recover for all your medical bills, pain and suffering, mental distress, wage loss, future wage loss, etc. You must call an experienced PI lawyer right away. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by California Auto Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Manuel Juarez. Esq., is licensed only in California. He practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, Manuel A. Juarez es licenciado solo en California.

  5. Contact a local PI lawyer. They can also get you treatment. Don't hesitate; call tomorrow.

  6. Health care providers are often willing to treat a personal injury victim on a lien basis if the victim is represented by a personal injury attorney whom the health care providers trust did a good job during the client intake phase of the case. By this I mean, the personal injury attorney would have interviewed the client to determine whether the other driver will more than likely be found liable for causing the collision, that they had a driver's license, active liability insurance at the time of the collision, whether there are witnesses to the accident, whether the police responded and took down a traffic collision report, and whether the client had active liability insurance at the time of the collision.

    You should definitely contact a personal injury attorney in your area and ask for a consultation. If a personal injury attorney accepts your case, they will probably be able to help you find necessary medical care on a lien basis. But, just make sure you ask the attorney if treating on a lien basis makes sense under the facts of your particular case.

    If the other driver's insurance company completes their investigation of liability and coverage and determines for some reason that coverage on the vehicle that rear ended you was not in force and effect at the time of the collision, you may be facing an uphill battle of trying to recover your damages from a defendant who has difficulty paying for your losses. When you sign a lien you are still on the hook with the health care provider regardless of the outcome of your case against the other driver.

    These are important considerations. But when you have been injured in a collision and your body needs treatment to heal, receiving prompt medical care is crucial. It's a lot to consider on your own. That's why it's so important to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to gain a better understanding of what makes sense for your case.

    No attorney-client relationship is created through the exchange of information on The information provided by Jacob Regar is not legal advice, and should not be treated as such. You must not rely on the information on this website (including Jacob Regar's response to your question). Do not use Jacob Regar's answer as an alternative to legal advice from your attorney. If you have any specific questions about any legal matter you should consult your attorney. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information on this website. This website contains general information about legal matters. The legal information on this website is provided "as is" without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Jacob Regar and Jacob Regar Law make no representations or warranties in relation to the legal information on this website.

  7. It sounds to me your question is: How do I get medical treatment for my injuries without health insurance?

    In response to that, here are some suggestions that you might want to look into (by no means is this an exhaustive list):

    (A) Medical Payment Coverage - automobile insurance policies may have a coverage for medical services that are derived from injuries sustained during a motor-vehicle collision. Check the automobile insurance policies to determine (1) whether or not there is this type of coverage, (2) how much coverage there is, and (3) if there are any time limits to using said coverage.

    (B) Medical Lien - some medical facilities/physicians are willing to provide medical services without advance payment. Instead they will ask for you to pay for the services from the compensation that you receive from your personal injury case. This is what is referred to as a "medical lien." Usually medical facilities/physicians shy away from this option without an attorney handling the case, and even when an attorney is handling the case it isn't always that easy to find a medical facility/physician that will accept this option.

    (C) Self Pay - you can always pay for medical treatment on your own. Some medical facilities/physicians will work with you in creating a payment plan or offer an uninsured patient discount. Make sure you discuss with the medical facility/physician that you will be self-paying and to inquire ahead of time what discounts or payment plans they offer. Sometimes this is the only option available.

    As always, you are strongly advised to speak with a licensed attorney to fully evaluate your case and to guide you in determining the best course of action in these types of situations. Most, if not all, offer a free consultation for personal injury cases as that is the industry standard - take advantage of it!

    Best of luck to you!

    This information is not legal advice, does not create an attorney-client relationship, and is intended for general informational purposes only. Said information is given in the context of California law.

  8. I would suggest a personal injury lawyer....I know, surprise, surprise...

  9. It has been a week and you havent been seen by a doctor. Id go to the county hospital They cant turn you away. Best to see someone asap and get on record all of your injuries/complaints. Check your auto policy to see if you have any med pay coverage.

  10. I live and work in California and deal with accidents like yours, so I am happy to answer your question. The answer to your question is your gut instinct is right that you want to know what you are entitled to ; you are entitled to having your medical bills covered and other out of pocket expenses. Our firm does not usually settle cases until the client is 100%. We look at the case as a whole and attempt to figure out what the settlement should be. The insurance company will make you believe that your case is worth very little... Regarding pain and suffering, you need to speak to an experienced attorney that can strategize your case. Just because you were in an accident doesn't mean you have pain and suffering, at least thats what the insurance companies think. Make no doubt about it you have a great case, but you need help from a professional. You are entitled to your medical bills being covered as well.

    Do you feel that you are at the same medical condition that you were before the accident? As a basic premise I wouldn't handle your claim by yourself. The attorney you hired can likely refer you to a doctor, if you ask for one, who will see you with no upfront payment! I've done this many times to help my clients out. You should not wait a single day to hire a lawyer, we will advise you on the strategy of your case. There is no upfront cost to hire an attorney.

    With a case like yours it seems like you have some good facts in order to get a high settlement, but your case definitely needs to be developed further to corroborate your story. The most important thing when building your case are: liability (were you at fault); how bad are your injuries to your body. A lot of these things sound like they are not complete yet in your case so its something that is worth hiring an attorney for in order to get a sense of whether you have a case and what the strategy would be for you to build a strong case! I've handled cases and/or spoken to clients in the Modesto, CA area.

    Its very possible that your case is worth more than the $$$ that the insurance company will offer you by yourself. Make your life easier and call an attorney today, you won't regret it. We give free consultations!

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

  11. I'm sorry to hear of your injury. You should speak with an experienced persona injury attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can negotiate with the insurance companies for you, send you to treatment with no out of pocket costs to you and obtain the highest settlement for your damages.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics