Skip to main content

I was raped 6 months ago, but never reported it to the police. How can I bring this to the criminal courts at no cost to myself?

Alhambra, CA |

This person was an acquaintance and I know how to get in contact with him.

Attorney Answers 4


There is never a financial cost to report a crime to the police. The prosecutor will be your advocate in court, so you don't need to hire another attorney to represent you for the criminal aspect. If you choose to also pursue a civil case, then you will need to hire an attorney.

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree


Call the local rape crisis center and police.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

Mark as helpful

9 lawyers agree


I am sorry for what you went through, report the incident to the police, there will be no monetary cost to you in reporting a crime, best of luck.

The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Theodor Kapun and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney.

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree


There's no monetary cost for alleging a crime. The cost to you will be in terms of time. Inconvenience, stress, and possible disappointment (if the DA decides not to file or the perpetrator is given a deal you don't like or found not guilty). Good luck

For a Free Consultation Call: 408.313.5607

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

7 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics