I was Raped, Do I need a lawyer?

Taylor, MI |

I was raped. I filed a police report with the local police. I still have yet to hear from a detective and I filed this on the 19th. I was wondering do I need to get a lawyer in this case?

You may need one especially if there may be a civil suit down the road. You may want to seek some counseling first.

James Regan

James Regan

Here is the Taylor PD Victim Advocate hotline number: 734-374-1415.

It would be helpful to at least speak with an attorney briefly to know what your rights are as a victim and what to expect from court proceedings.

The author of this answer has not entered into a legal agreement to represent you as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship has been formed. Answers on Avvo.com are only for informational purposes. Any use of the contained material is at the user's own risk.

James Regan

James Regan

Do you need a lawyer? No. Could it be helpful for you to talk to one. Almost certainly. You should call a few good criminal defense attorneys in your area and get a recommendation about who to talk to and find out about the investigation process in your area. I've very sorry for your situation and I hope that you can get the help you need.

Joseph T Ostrowski

Joseph T Ostrowski

Yes you need a lawyer, a prosecuting attorney. Has the perpetrator been arrested? Did you immediately report this incident? or did you wait? Did the police take you immediately to the hospital for a sexual assault evidence collection kit, sexual assault forensic evidence (SAFE) kit, Sexual offense evidence collection (SOEC) kit or Physical Evidence Recovery Kit (PERK) kit. If no why not? You need law enforcement to be in high gear. Did you know your attacker? If these things were not done, i.e., rape kit and and apprehension of the suspect or if you knew this person will all have a bearing on your case. My first thought would be to have this perpetrator thrown down the deepest hole they can find, so he can't crawl out and maybe get a taste of his own medicine. Also, I would seriously that you contact a rape crisis center to get counseling or seek private counseling. This incident can have a major impact on you and you need to minimize the psychological damage this incident may have. If you knew your attacker identify him. Had you seen this person before? He probably lives near you or has been watching you or knew your habits. There are so many questions that have to be answered. First take care of yourself . . . a potential civil suit should not be contemplated now, catching this guy and making him pay through the criminal justice system. The collection of evidence and documentation of trauma is important. Finding this person is a key, if you knew him, were you drugged? Date rape? Sorry, for the blunt questions, but if you were raped someone should be seriously punished. If you know this person, things could get complicated. Good luck, call the investigating detective and ask what's going on. Has the guy been arrested? Any suspects, photo array? Good luck, get some counseling and try to maintain.

James Regan

James Regan

Call them ASAP.

Sincerely,

James Regan, LL.M, Esq.
http://www.defendme.net

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.

You don't need a lawyer, but the person who did this to you might. I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. Cases sometimes move slowly for a number of reasons. You can always contact the police department again and ask what the status of your case is. You could also speak to a civil attorney if you think you might want to sue the suspect. However, I can tell you that this might weaken your criminal case and prosecutors hate to hear that the defense is that the motive for reporting a rape is money. You have time to file a civil suit, so you might want to hold off on jumping right to it. Again, call the police department and ask them for a status. Good luck.