I was Raped, Do I need a lawyer?

Asked over 2 years ago - Taylor, MI

I was raped. I filed a police report with the local police. I still have yet to hear from a detective and I filed this on the 19th. I was wondering do I need to get a lawyer in this case?

1. Callista A. Gloss

6

Answered . It would be helpful to at least speak with an attorney briefly to know what your rights are as a victim and what to expect from court proceedings.

2. Andrew Charles Lapres

5

Answered . You don't need a lawyer, but the person who did this to you might. I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. Cases sometimes move slowly for a number of reasons. You can always contact the police department again and ask what the status of your case is. You could also speak to a civil attorney if you think you might want to sue the suspect. However, I can tell you that this might weaken your criminal case and prosecutors hate to hear that the defense is that the motive for reporting a rape is money. You have time to file a civil suit, so you might want to hold off on jumping right to it. Again, call the police department and ask them for a status. Good luck.

3. Robert West

6

Answered . You may need one especially if there may be a civil suit down the road. You may want to seek some counseling first.

4. Derek Michael Smith

Pro

6

Answered . Do you need a lawyer? No. Could it be helpful for you to talk to one. Almost certainly. You should call a few good criminal defense attorneys in your area and get a recommendation about who to talk to and find out about the investigation process in your area. I've very sorry for your situation and I hope that you can get the help you need.

5. James Regan

Pro

2

Answered . Here is the Taylor PD Victim Advocate hotline number: 734-374-1415.

Call them ASAP.

Sincerely,

James Regan, LL.M, Esq.
    http://www.defendme.net