Skip to main content

I was Raped, Do I need a lawyer?

Taylor, MI |

I was raped. I filed a police report with the local police. I still have yet to hear from a detective and I filed this on the 19th. I was wondering do I need to get a lawyer in this case?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You may need one especially if there may be a civil suit down the road. You may want to seek some counseling first.

  2. It would be helpful to at least speak with an attorney briefly to know what your rights are as a victim and what to expect from court proceedings.

    The author of this answer has not entered into a legal agreement to represent you as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship has been formed. Answers on are only for informational purposes. Any use of the contained material is at the user's own risk.

  3. Do you need a lawyer? No. Could it be helpful for you to talk to one. Almost certainly. You should call a few good criminal defense attorneys in your area and get a recommendation about who to talk to and find out about the investigation process in your area. I've very sorry for your situation and I hope that you can get the help you need.

  4. Here is the Taylor PD Victim Advocate hotline number: 734-374-1415.

    Call them ASAP.


    James Regan, LL.M, Esq.

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.

  5. You don't need a lawyer, but the person who did this to you might. I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. Cases sometimes move slowly for a number of reasons. You can always contact the police department again and ask what the status of your case is. You could also speak to a civil attorney if you think you might want to sue the suspect. However, I can tell you that this might weaken your criminal case and prosecutors hate to hear that the defense is that the motive for reporting a rape is money. You have time to file a civil suit, so you might want to hold off on jumping right to it. Again, call the police department and ask them for a status. Good luck.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics