I was ran off the road by someone and damaged my car but I didn't have insurance is the person liable to pay for damages

Asked 8 months ago - Baton Rouge, LA

I have damage to the right side of my car and its not driveable there was no damage to the other person car but I wasn't at fault

1. Gregory J Miller

Pro

7

Answered . Louisiana drivers are required by law to carry liability insurance. The penalty for not carrying insurance is the driver is precluded from recovering the first 15,000 of his property damages and the first 15,000 of his personal injuries. So even if the other driver is totally at fault recovery for the initial portion of damages can be a major problem. This is called the "no pay no play" law.

However it's not uncommon to find a person did indeed have insurance coverage even if they think they did not. There are strict requirements for cancellation of insurance policies and it's not uncommon for us to find a policy wasn't properly cancelled even if the person knows they stopped paying and thinks they no longer had insurance.

Best advice is to consult an experienced area attorney to look into these issues for you. Typically there is no charge for a consultation.

2. Michael R Crosner

7

1

Answered . If other party is at fault they are liable for your auto damages even if you do not have insurance - However, that is based on California law where I practice - you need to consult a LA attorney to make sure. Hopefully a local attorney will respond to your question.

Pro

7

Answered . Submit the claim to his insurance carrier

4. Kevin Coluccio

4

1

Answered . With those facts, I would say yes.