Skip to main content

I was put on probation for child support in June 2009. Also, added to that probation was sexual misconduct. 5 years.

Lexington, KY |

Two weeks ago, I was served with a domestic violence order from my ex wife in another county. I had blocked this person from facebook, changed my telephone number twice, she set up fake profiles continued to try to contact me. However, the judge issued the DVO based on my past record from over 10 years ago. Now my Probation officer has issued a revocation hearing for probation violation. I have not violated the DVO and was under the understanding that the DVO was civil and not criminal. Have I violated my probation?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. From what you have stated it doesn't sound like you have. Nevertheless what matters is what is proven before the court. A DVO is civil but violating a DVO will likely be a violation of your probation. You should immediately hire a criminal defense attorney to help you deal with this.

  2. You need to hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you at the probation revocation hearing. You also need counsel at the DVO hearing.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

  3. It sounds like you've done nothing wrong. A DVO entry, without an admission, is not a violation of probation. That said, since you are facing a probation violation, you need to hire a competent criminal defense attorney to advocate. You are facing significant jail/prison time if the judge violates your probation, therefore an attorney is necessary. Often people think that they don't need an attorney if they've done nothing wrong - this is a fallacy. It is even MORE of a reason to hire counsel. Criminal defense attorneys protect both the guilty and the innocent that are wrongly accused.

    Kentucky law does not certify specialty of practice in this area. The advice given herein is informational and should not be considered as creating an attorney/client relationship. Michael Bouldin is an independent attorney located in Northern Kentucky. It is strongly recommended to not give any confidential information on any website.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics