I was pulled over for speeding in New York State, by a Nys Trooper. On the back of the ticket it says that I can plead

Asked 11 months ago - Katonah, NY

Not guilty and request a "supporting disposition" ..What exactly does that entail? And if I do request that along with pleading not guilty..Does it mean that the state trooper who gave me the ticket "Has" to be present at the court for my court date? And does it mean he has to bring in more evidence to justify me guilty for speeding? Last but not least..Is it more likely that my ticket will either A) Be dismissed because I requested a supporting disposition or B) My ticket will be reduced to a lower violation with no points? Also, what if the state trooper does not show up to court? Can I ask the judge to dismiss my case? Or is it up to the prosecutor?
Thanks

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

7

Answered . A Supporting Deposition is a written document the Trooper fills out explaining what he alleges you did wrong. I suggest you consult with a local attorney because there was a time when Troopers would not offer a reduced plea if you asked for the Supporting Deposition. I don't know if that policy is still in effect.

2. Ronald J Brandmayr Jr

7

Answered . Answers in serium: Police report, yes if you fight the ticket, not necessarily, yes and yes, it works in your favor, yes, and not really.

3. Terri Beth Kalker

Pro

6

Answered . There are not necessarily definitive answers to your questions. Requesting a supporting deposition may help, if you fail to get one, or hinder, if you do and the PO does not want to reduce the charges. It all depends on the location, the charge etc. The ultimate decision to dismiss a ticket, for any reason, lies with the Judge. An attorney who handles these matters regularly, such as myself, can better navigate through this all.

4. Marco Caviglia

Pro

6

Answered . The answer to some of you questions "depends" upon the agency and local jurisdiction and even the judge. Rather than dealing in generalisms, consult a local traffic attorney.

5. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

3

Answered . The whole supporting deposition issue is very complex and why we go to law school for 3 years and then get paid to interpret and explain to the public. A more substantive answer I cannot give without consulting with you; and I cannot consult with you unless I am paid to do so. Well, actually, I COULD consult with you without being paid, but I wouldn't because if I did what's the point of being in business?