Skip to main content

I was pulled over after an accident at gunpoint and cited for DUI and an open container, even though I refused a breath test.

Savannah, GA |

I was never given a field sobriety test and pulled over immediately, the cop said he thought I was preparing to ditch the car. He said I fit a description in a high crime area of a breaking into an auto crime (I am a black male who owns a BMW)

Attorney Answers 12

  1. There are a dozen different reasons why you should hire an attorney in this case. Most offer a free consultation. Meet with several and get different opinions from them. Decide which one you like because you will be investing money in their opinion.

    If you have any further questions about this or any other topic, please feel free to call me at 404-923-0446. All initial phone calls are free. By answering this question, there is no established attorney/client priviledge with Rohan Law, PC. Therefore you cannot rely solely on this information to form the basis of a legal opinion regarding your rights and responsibilities. If you believe that your case requires additional attention, you should contract an attorney to represent you directly.

  2. Hire an attorney immediately as there is a 10 day period within which you must assert certain rights in order to try and preserve your driving privileges. Good Luck

    P Darrell Kimbrell

    The information is provided for general purposes only and should not be relied upon. You are advised to consult with an attorney of your choosing, who can advise you on the particular facts and options in your case. No attorney-client relationship is intended or formed absent you executing a signed fee agreement. P. Darrell Kimbrell is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. Information provided is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice nor does such response create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

  3. If you were pulled over because of an accident, police had the right to approach you and question you. Even if you refused field sobriety tests, the officer can arrest for DUI based upon physical manifestations, driving and other evidence such as an open container in the car. Refusals are easier to handle than cases where the person performed all of the FSTs and state breath test. Feel free to call my office for a free consultation. 90% of my cases are DUI cases.

    404.993.9172 Law Firm of W. Travis Towe. Mr. Towe is a DUI / criminal defense attorney and practices in several metro-Atlanta counties, including: Fulton, DeKalb, Clayton, Cobb, Gwinnett, Fayette, Henry, Hall, Forsyth, and Douglas Counties. All information provided is based on Georgia law and federal law, where applicable, and is not necessarily directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. Rather, this response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your respective jurisdiction.

  4. My colleagues are correct. You should talk with an experienced DUI/DWI attorney. If you want to find one in your area here on AVVO you can select "Find a Lawyer" at the top of the page. Good luck.

  5. Sounds like you have a good case to fight. Hire a lawyer.

  6. Though you have not asked a question, the answer is: hire an experienced DUI lawyer in your area.

  7. I'd agree with the other answers here; you need to act quickly to protect your driving privileges, and a good DUI attorney can help to maximize your chances of getting the charges reduced to a non DUI disposition. Call around and find someone you're comfortable with at a reasonable price for their services.

  8. I agree with my colleagues. Hire an attorney as soon as you can. Based on the facts you describe, you may have multiple defenses.

    This answer is not intended to be legal advice. This answer is general in nature and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you wish to create an attorney-client relationship you should contact an attorney and formally discuss the specifics of your case.

  9. You need to retain an attorney. My office offer free telephone consultation..

    Darrell B. Reynolds,
    Attorney and Counselor at Law
    2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Ste D
    Decatur, Ga. 30033

  10. There a question in there somewhere. How do I get my license back? Was this stop lawful? Why was I arrested? How do I find a lawyer? Was the officer wrong? Was I profiled?

    Let me know what your question you have so I can help you out.

  11. I would recommend that you retain an experienced DUI Defense Attorney - ASAP! You only have 10 business days to request a Hearing in the Administrative License Suspension (ALS) procedure. Your attorney will be able to prepare this and make sure that there is proof it is received by the state. Also, you may have numerous defenses to the charges, such as, an improper stop (if you were stopped only for being in a high crime area), the failure of the Officer to administer the SFST's, etc. This opinion is based on the very limited information in your "question". You should have a detailed consultation with the best DUI Defense Attorney that is available to you - ASAP! Don't risk loosing your Drivers License because you wait to long!
    Good Luck!
    George McCranie

    The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics