Skip to main content

I was picked up on a sealed felony warrant for supposed selling to a c/i 4 times. I am told i cant get the affidavit.

Carlyle, IL |

Plus weeks later my vehicle was taken for supposed involvement in a felony crime for indictment. When i was arrested i wasn't given warrant, nor did any officer tell me what i was being arrested for until i bailed myself out of county. i also wasn't served papers for my vehicle. A cop and detective came pounding on my door saying they were going to take my vehicle and if i didn't comply they would forcefully remove it from my property and in 14 days i would receive papers to appear in court. So out of duress i gave them my keys for fear of more issues in court. I haven't gone to court yet and i am doing the research myself since i cant afford a lawyer and i know public defenders are slammed with cases. Plus nothing was ever found on me or in my vehicle when they arrested me and seized it.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You have not asked a question. Your facts are very complicated and clearly you need representation. If you cannot afford private counsel, you really need to wait for appointment of a public defender.

  2. You should hire an attorney immediately. There are motions used to attack the use of a confidential informant, but they are very fact specific and a full investigation into the entire history of the police investigation needs to be done. A confidential informant can be held to the standards of a police officer if the CIs compensation is handled in certain ways. A qualified lawyer should be able to help you navigate this.

    John Yetter

    Please understand that answering this doesn't create an attorney/client relationship between us, and as hard as I try to answer your question well, it isn't legal advice. No matter how much information you put into a question, the answers you are going to get are still going to be vague. It is in your interest to contact a lawyer, most of whom will do a free consultation. Even 15 minutes with a lawyer is going to produce a more specific answer to your problem.

  3. You would be a thousand times better off with the public defender than trying to do this yourself.

    Good and experienced criminal defense attorneys who get into trouble (and it does happen) never represent themselves. They retain the best and most respected counsel they can find to reprsent them. And don't be in a hurry to knock the public defender. True, the PD may have a very heavy caseload, but you will usually get a very experienced attorney who is particularly knowledgable in Illinois criminal practice and procedure. You won't get a lot of personal attention and what some people disparaginly call "hand-holding," but you probably will get a zealous and highly competent defense.

  4. Get an attorney who is competent in both forfeiture and criminal defense. Both issues are obviously relevant to your representation. A sealed warrant is an option at the request of the State and discretion of the judge. You can obtain the c/i information if they are necessary witnesses against you regarding any one of the sales. You must file the appropriate motion. You will be receiving a Notice of Forfeiture via registered mail if the State intends on forfeiting the property.

  5. What is your question?

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics