I was parked . As i opened the door another car swooped into the stall next to me & broke her mirror. Who is liable?

Spokane, WA |

I was parked in a shopping lot. As I was exiting my vehilcle another car swooped in and broke their mirror. Who is liable

Could be you, the other driver or both. For example, did you open the door and not give the driver an opportunity to avoid the incident. Perhaps, the other driver was paying attention and should have avoided the incident. Good luck.

It is hard to tell from the facts you give. If you had just pulled in and parked and then immediately opened your door, that makes it more likely that the other party was at fault, as they should have been observant of this. However, if you sat there for a bit before you opened the door, you could also be at fault for not observing that the other car was pulling into the spot. It is not a quick yes or no type of case. If the other car ran into your door as opposed to your door hitting the mirror as they pulled in, that could go against them as well. My point in posing different scenarios is to illustrate the difficulty in giving you an answer!

I will evaluate your case for free. Joyce J. Sweinberg, Esquire 215-752-3732 www.jjsassoc.net Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.

I agree with the other posters and it hard to tell but generally the moving vehicle has the ability to stop and the responsability to do so. In reality a mirror may not reach an insurance deductable and the driver would be paying.
Good Luck

Only If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes

I agree with the other attorneys. It all depends.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Daniel Buttafuoco has been voted BEST LAWYER five years in a row and has represented clients all over the United States. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Daniel Buttafuoco strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in order to ensure proper advice is received. www.1800NowHurt.com

It is likely you are both negligent, thus, report it to your insurance company to resolve.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury