I was parked . As i opened the door another car swooped into the stall next to me & broke her mirror. Who is liable?

Asked over 2 years ago - Spokane, WA

I was parked in a shopping lot. As I was exiting my vehilcle another car swooped in and broke their mirror. Who is liable

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

13

Answered . Could be you, the other driver or both. For example, did you open the door and not give the driver an opportunity to avoid the incident. Perhaps, the other driver was paying attention and should have avoided the incident. Good luck.

2. Joyce J. Sweinberg

Pro

13

Answered . It is hard to tell from the facts you give. If you had just pulled in and parked and then immediately opened your door, that makes it more likely that the other party was at fault, as they should have been observant of this. However, if you sat there for a bit before you opened the door, you could also be at fault for not observing that the other car was pulling into the spot. It is not a quick yes or no type of case. If the other car ran into your door as opposed to your door hitting the mirror as they pulled in, that could go against them as well. My point in posing different scenarios is to illustrate the difficulty in giving you an answer!

3. Shawn B Alexander

Pro

11

Answered . I agree with the other posters and it hard to tell but generally the moving vehicle has the ability to stop and the responsability to do so. In reality a mirror may not reach an insurance deductable and the driver would be paying.
    Good Luck

4. Daniel Paul Buttafuoco

Pro

10

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys. It all depends.

Pro

9

Answered . It is likely you are both negligent, thus, report it to your insurance company to resolve.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com