Skip to main content

I was other than honorably discharged from the navy.....does this make me not eligible to be a citizen of the United States?

Homestead, FL |
Filed under: Immigration

I've been a permanent resident of the United States for 34 years and I am 35 now.

Attorney Answers 3


There is no direct connection between Naturalization and less than honorable discharge; With that said, if the discharge was as a result of a criminal activity, it may interfere with the finding of good moral character, show if which is one of the requirements for naturalization eligibility

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

8 lawyers agree


As with most cases, it is fact specific. The OTH itself will not be the issue, but the underlying reason. You need to see a local immigration attorney.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


It depends on why you were discharged.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

15 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics