I was ordered to have ignition interlock for 2 years, my contract is up next month can I fight the state and get it removed?

Olathe, KS |

The state is saying I dont get my license back until Sept 2013, but I have done EVERYTHING they have asked and need to know if i have a case to get this off my vehicle! I am wanting to sale my vehicle too!

You should do a search on AVVO attorney search bar, these are technical issues which need to be given serious legal consideration.

Communication through AVVO does not constitute legal representation. Representation by this law firm can only be established through a written agreement executed by both attorney and client. In the absence of such express representation agreement, this law firm does not represent the recipient or reader and no person or party should rely upon statements, opinions or advice contained herein.

Unfortunately Kansas takes the position that you do not have the "right" to have a driver's license, it's a privilege and as such they can pretty well control how and under what circumstances it will be returned prior to the two year period. Dealing with the DMV is a nightmare and selling your vehicle, cancelling the interlock contract, etc. will not help. In order to get a variance from the DL rules, you'll definately need to take it up a notch with the DMV.

In general the answer is no. However , if you are selling the car that presents a different issue. The state certainly cant make you keep the vehicle. Address this issue with MVA.

Jonathan N. Portner, Esquire, Portner & Shure, P.A. Maryland and Virginia Personal Injury Attorneys. This response is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This response should not be relied upon. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm