I was ordered to have ignition interlock for 2 years, my contract is up next month can I fight the state and get it removed?

Asked over 1 year ago - Olathe, KS

The state is saying I dont get my license back until Sept 2013, but I have done EVERYTHING they have asked and need to know if i have a case to get this off my vehicle! I am wanting to sale my vehicle too!

1. Evan Matthew Oshan

Pro

4

Answered . You should do a search on AVVO attorney search bar, these are technical issues which need to be given serious legal consideration.

2. Jess William Hoeme

1

Answered . Unfortunately Kansas takes the position that you do not have the "right" to have a driver's license, it's a privilege and as such they can pretty well control how and under what circumstances it will be returned prior to the two year period. Dealing with the DMV is a nightmare and selling your vehicle, cancelling the interlock contract, etc. will not help. In order to get a variance from the DL rules, you'll definately need to take it up a notch with the DMV.

3. Jonathan Neal Portner

Pro

1

Answered . In general the answer is no. However , if you are selling the car that presents a different issue. The state certainly cant make you keep the vehicle. Address this issue with MVA.