I was ordered to appear to a hearing and made the hearing. They recessed twice more. I cannot make the next hearing....

Asked 5 months ago - Dallas, TX

does the original order to for me to appear stand for the recessed dates? I have made the two other recessed hearings, but this third will not work. I have a very important prior engagement which was made known to the court, I have motioned for continuance but can the court order a capias for my arrest? The prior engagement is surgery to remove a tumor. Court did not listen to my objections stating that fact and recessed to the date in question anyway. Can they come into the recovery unit and arrest me? Or will they continue with the hearing without my presence?

1. Mark Allen Land

2

Answered . Are you a witness or a party? Civil or Criminal?

If a party, get a lawyer and have them file a motion for continuance. If a witness, send a letter to the judge and the lawyers explaining you cannot be there because you are scheduled for surgery. (I don't think I would tell them where.)

2. Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Pro

1

Answered . To answer your question, the original order covers recessed dates if the court ordered you to come back, which probably was done. You should talk to a lawyer for legal advice as to what to do. There are too many possibilities to get advice here.

3. Samuel Cohen

1

Answered . Speak with the attorney who subpoenaed you after getting a doctor's note. If the lawyer will not let you out, send a letter to the Judge and all lawyers involved enclosing the doctor's not which states the reason you cannot be in Court. Ask the Court to let you know what it decides in a nice way.