I was on a bus and when the bus stopped at the red light I got up to change seats, however, the bus moved while I was moving to

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

my next seat which made me fall backwards and hit my head on the floor. The ambulance came but the paramedic didn't think I was in a serious condition and said we can put the neck brace on later when we are in the ambulance, which he did put on but was loose and said it's just to make it look legit. When I arrived at the ER the doctor said I had a concussion and should follow up with my doctor. I started having persistent headaches that wouldn't go away with other symptoms so went to go see my doctor. She said that I have a TBI. What is my recourse?

This is a privately owned bus company. Does no fault insurance apply in this case?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

6

Answered . It is very likely that you have no case. Buses move while people are moving around all the time. Consult a personal injury lawyer ASAP as you need to serve a Notice of Claim within 90 days if this is not a private bus company.

2. Craig A. Post

6

Answered . If you own a motor vehicle and this was a public bus, you should request a no-fault application from your insurance company. If this was a private bus, you can request a no-fault application from the bus company. This way, your medical expenses will be covered. Do not wait to consult with an attorney in your area as there are short time frames for filing claims in these types of matters. There may very well be a viable claim for the driver suddenly accelerating while passengers were moving about the bus.

3. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

5

Answered . How long ago was the accident? Was it a city bus or other kind of bus? Too many unknown variables to give an answer.

Pro

6

Answered . TBI is serious. Was this a private bus? Contact one of the above distinguished personal injury lawyers in your state immediately to investigate.

5. Dean P Murray

4

Answered . You should consult a personal injury attorney and schedule a consultation.

6. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

3

Answered . Definitely worth exploring.

7. Matthew C Simon

Pro

2

Answered . I really dont see any liability on the bus company or city unless you specifically asked the bus driver to wait, he agreed to wait, and then drove. I would think most juries would find you to be more than 50% at fault for not moving about the bus more carefully/with due care and circumspection for your own welfare.

Plus, if this is a City bus, there are strict time guidelines.

With all of that being said, TBI is serious. As such, seek a free consultation with a personal injury attorney ASAP. Good luck.

8. David Ian Schoen

Pro

2

Answered . You can give it a shot, but if it was a city or MTA bus you have to file a notice of claim so contact a local personal injury attorney immediately