I was offered a plea bargain deal for a moving violation,

Babylon, NY |

I was offered a plea bargain deal for a moving violation to a parking ticket and no points. The parking ticket fee they are stating is going to cost me $355 but when I looked up the parking ticket fine on their website (Suffolk County Traffic and Parking Violations Agency) it said the fine for VTL 1201-(a) would be $100 with a surcharge of $25. How come they are asking me for $355? Thank you.

1. It may be they are offering you a plea to parking on pavement second offense within 18 months and meat to say the fine would be $300..00 and the surcharge would be $25.00 for a total of $325.00 or they are offering you a plea to parking on pavement third offense in 18 months and setting the fine at $330.00 which $70.00 less than the maximum fine of $400.00 together with the mandatory surcharge of $25.00 . I suggest you ask before you agree to the plea bargain which should be in writing or recited on the record in detail. You may want to retain an attorney who can make sure you receive the deal you are promised.

The information provided is not intended to be legal advice, but merely conveys general information related to legal issues commonly encountered. The information is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or current. I make no warranty, expressed or implied, about the accuracy or reliability of the information. You should not act or rely on any information at above without seeking the advice of an attorney. The determination of whether you need legal services and your choice of a lawyer are very important matters that should not be based on websites or advertisement

2. It might be that they are charging you with a second or third offense which carry the higher fines.

3. You are getting an opportunity to avoid points on your license and the inevitable insurance increase that comes with a moving violation conviction. Many in your situation would be ecstatic to pay a couple of hundred dollars extra to avoid these things. It is a good deal for you.

I am a former Brooklyn Criminal Court Deputy Bureau Chief with over 17 years experience specializing in handling criminal cases. All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. Also, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication.

4. You are probably being cut a break, and being charged a bit more for it. My recommendation is that you consult local counsel -- get yourself a traffic ticket attorney to advise you on whether to take the deal of fight it further. Your lawyer may also make sure you get what you are offered and not what you think you are being offered. Once you have "pled", all bets are off.

Traffic moving violations can cost you thousands of dollars in insurance rate increases in the future. Don't chance it. Hire a traffic ticket lawyer before going to court.

If this answer helped you, please be so kind as to mark it "helpful" or "best answer". This would be greatly appreciated. Remember, this is not legal advice from Criminal Defense Lawyer Albert Quirantes, or the Ticket Law Center in Miami, Florida and there is no attorney client privilege created in this communication. Don't squeal on yourself by making admissions on this public website. Only ask theoretical questions of a general nature for your own protection.