I was not driving my car when it was caught by a red light camera. i provided proof but won't name driver. can they make me?

Sherman Oaks, CA |

my truck was being driven by someone else. i was not even in the vehicle at the time of the offense. i responded to the red light camera citation with photo proof i was not the driver but refrained from providing the actual driver's identity. i am not aware of any vehicle code or statuate in the state of california that can compel me to do so. have i met my burden for dismissal by providing them with photo proof i am not the pictured driver?

1. No. If your name is on the ticket but it's not your face in the photo, you don't have to identify the person driving. For more info on how to handle this situation, go to the "It's Not Me!" section on the Your Ticket page.

2. No and if they find out who it is, these are one of the easiest tickets to beat - I'm assuming you are friends with the driver - he can fight it on his own - there is plenty out there on the internet.

Matthew Williamson

Traffic tickets topics