I was never notified my home which was purchased with an ex-spouse was foreclosed. A legal way to remove from credit?

Asked over 1 year ago - Wellsville, NY

We divorced in 2006 and our divorce agreement said he had to refinance within three months to remove my name. I went to get a car loan in 2009 and had a foreclosure on my credit report! I was mortified. Is there any recourse I can take to remove this from my credit report? The home was in Georgia and I now reside in New York.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Nope you owned it. You didn't followup to confirm that a refinance took place. No credit agency will remove that mark for the reasons stated. It may well be that the foreclosure was invalid since you didn't receive notice, but it appears that cow has already left the barn. Your recourse would be against your ex-spouse who failed to refinance and failed to give you the opportunity to prevent he foreclosure.

    If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore,... more
  2. Joseph S Hubicki


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can file a contempt motion against your husband, but that will not let you off the hook with the bank.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Debt in a Divorce

Responsibility for debts acquired during marriage may fall upon both parties after divorce, even if only one spouse incurred the debt.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now