I was never issued the actual ticket

Asked almost 3 years ago - Tacoma, WA

I was pulled over last year for a headlamp out. I thought the officer was going to issue a ticket (I'm pretty sure I signed something). But when the officer returned my license he did not give me a ticket. As he walked away, I called back asking if I was free to go. He said yes. I was a bit confused.. I never received anything in the mail. I went to the DMV to renew my license and learned my license has been suspended since last Aug. I called the court clerk and it was due to this unpaid ticket. It is now in collections (for an amount I'm not able to pay). The clerk said I could write the judge asking him to recall it and whatever else I wanted (court date). What is my defense here? What are the chances of having it recalled and getting a court day now? TIA

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Due process requires that you receive notice of your right to request a hearing to contest the violation. For this reason the judge should pull the ticket from collections and give you a hearing.

    Don't try to do this yourself. A good infraction attorney might cost a lot less than what the collection agency wants.

    This answer is my personal opinion, offered for informational purposes only. It is not a legal opinion, nor is it... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Look, it is an equipment violation. Just pay it because there will be no points on your license and no insurance implications. Otherwise, you will have to retain a lawyer to make a motion to vacate which will be more costly and time consuming. Until this is cleared up you are driving on a suspended license which is a crime. If you are caught and think the headlight ticket is bad wait until you see the fines for that one.

Related Topics

Traffic tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty... more

Traffic court

In traffic court, serious traffic offenses are tried and traffic tickets are contested. Uncontested minor tickets may not require you to go to traffic court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,766 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,766 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering